2-3 potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 carrot
1/2 bell pepper
1 beet (med sized)
3-4 cloves garlic to taste
1 tablespoon tomato paste, or 1 can diced tomatoes, or 1 can tomato sauce
Braggs Liquid Aminos to taste, and or sea salt to taste
other spices to taste (I used Mrs. Dash's Garlic and Herb, and it worked great)
olive oil to sauté veggies (adjust the amount to your needs and taste)
fresh parsley, dill, green onions, optional
no dairy sour cream, or eggless mayonnaise, optional

What you do: 

In a big pot bring water to boil and add your spices including crushed or diced garlic. Then add shredded cabbage. When cabbage starts to boil add peeled and cut up potatoes and let them cook. Cut onions and peppers, shred carrots and beets. In a separate pan heat up olive oil and sauté the veggies until almost done, add canned tomatoes( or sauce) simmer for a little bit, then add all this to the pot with boiling cabbage and potatoes. Let cook for about 25-20 min. I did not mention it in the ingredients, but you can also add some beans. I think that pinto, or kidney beans work best. Cut up your greens and add them to the pot of ready borscht, and let stand for a little, or you can add them to your own bowl. Traditionally Russians eat with sour cream. In my family we also used mayo. Borscht is great just by itself though. I like it with Veganaise and a little Tabasco.
P.S.: For some reason borscht always taste better the next day.

Preparation Time: 
45 to 1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

i am assuming that by "greens" you mean the green onions and herbs. i would suggest that some beet greens will go very well here. will try this when it gets colder. would go very well with pierogies.

0 likes