1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup creamy style organic peanut butter

What you do: 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Then dump ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir. You will really need to work at getting the ingredients mixed well. I do a downward smashing motion with my spoon as I stir. You could even put your hands into the dough and kneed a little. Drop 1 tablespoon size mounds onto a greased cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Smash them down some with a fork. Then sprinkle with course sugar if you like. After they are baked let them cool for 15 minutes before you dig in. They will be soft out of the oven and crisp up as they cool.
You can also take a little time to get perfectly flat and round peanut butter cookies just like in my photo. And it also helps them to be more consistent in their texture through-out the cookie. Use a 2 inch round cookie cutter as a mold by pressing the 1 tablespoon of cookie dough evenly into the inside of the cookie cutter. Hold the dough down with one finger when you lift away the cookie cutter so it doesn't misshapen the dough. It makes a perfect hockey puck of dough that spreads out perfectly.
Recipe reprinted from http://www.myvegancookbook.com/blog/ with permission.

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

yummy! used extra peanut butter in place of oil and agave instead of maple syrup. quick and easy! will use again:)

0 likes

I followed this recipe exactly, and was doubtful as I was putting the cookie dough on the baking sheet.  I was pleasantly surprised - these are good peanut butter cookies a nice, chewy texture (think peanut butter oatmeal cookie). The recipe does not specify how long these should bake... I baked mine for 13-15 min before letting them cool, and I think I could have gotten away with baking them for a shorter period of time. I got 24 small-ish cookies out of this recipe.

These cookies are not as cute as a traditional peanut butter cookie, but they are much healthier.

0 likes

I know MVC doesn't like people to mess with ingredients in his recipes, but I always make these without the brown sugar, then I substitute the maple syrup for molasses,  oil for more applesauce, then add extra flax meal. I think they still taste awesome, just not so much into sugar!

0 likes

This recipe came out really great. I substituted half of the peanut butter with almond butter to add depth of flavor, and used soy yogurt instead of applesauce. They were awesome!

0 likes