1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan margarine
2 1/2 3 cups vegan cane sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
4 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups nondairy milk
1 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot, optional

What you do: 

1. Line a pan with wax paper. Melt margarine in a saucepan on a low heat, gradually adding sugar. When thoroughly combined, add molasses, light corn syrup, and vanilla, stirring constantly.
2. When above ingredients are mixed, begin to add milk gradually, continuing to stir the mixture. Bring mixture to a low boil on a medium heat for 20-25 minutes, continuously agitating the mixture. Do not under any circumstances leave the toffee alone; it can easily boil over and burn.
3. Add thickener, as needed. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and place into the refrigerator until firm enough to cut into small cubes. If overly sticky on the surface, brush lightly with corn starch.
Definitely not a healthy dessert, but quite buttery-tasting and rich. Texture will vary depending upon the consistency of your nondairy milk, whether or not you choose to use a thickener, and the amount of sugar you choose to use.

Preparation Time: 
40 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

If I am not allowed to use maple syrup,what about sweet apple juice,actual treacle and and extra thickener? I have no got it right with juice before,but would it make a difference with treacle?

0 likes

I wonder could this be made into a sauce by not cooking it as long? Any input is appreciated :)

0 likes

This is delicious! I never know how long to cook it for, so I do th cold water test and take it off when it's pliable...it makes it slightly chewy on the edges and much like a super fine coconut ice in texture. It's wonderful! My Scottish boyfriend says it's authentic :)

0 likes

Just made these this afternoon and i am really  :)>>>. Ive missed toffee and carmel so much since i had to give up cows dairy and these taste so much liek the carmels i use dot have for christmas. I made a few tweaks as i was short on some ingredients so the sugar was a combination of turbinado and white,  brown rice syrup was subbed in for corn as im allergic, and i used gluten free dried vanilla instead of liquid. Its so delicious im forwarding this page to my veggie and just plain adventurous carnivore friends  ;)b. And i now have an open continer of grain milk to use up before the end of the week so i will certainly be making it again! For your first shot its a heck of a good one! My only qualm is that i wish you had posted a temp or stage for the cooking. As a note for others I let it get pretty close to soft ball but it needed a bit more.

P.S. It removed just fine from a greased glass pan if you dont like to use disposable paper products  like me  ;) .

0 likes