sprinkle turmeric
salt and pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
1/2 pound extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed, squeezed, and cubed
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2-1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
1 lime, juiced

What you do: 

1. Heat vegetable oil in large soup pot over medium-high. Add onion and zucchini, and let cook until they start to "sweat." Add bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook until all vegetables begin to get tender (5 minutes or so). Add greens and let cook down until they begin to wilt.
2. Add canned tomatoes, broth and water, and rice. Here is where you can make a choice: if you want a thinner soup, add more liquid, and less rice, but if you want a thicker "stoup" type dish, add less liquid, and more rice, or anything in between (I added 1/2 quart broth, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1 cup rice, and it was soupier right after the rice was cooked, but as it set it became very thick-great either way).
3. Add the spices to taste, and the curry paste. Turn heat to low, and let simmer until rice is tender (45 minutes-1 hour). At the end of this time, you can fry your tofu in a little oil until it is golden and crisp on both sides. Once the rice is done, add the coconut milk, lime, peanut butter, and tofu.
4. Taste, and adjust the seasonings (spices, peanut butter, curry paste, etc.). You can also add more liquid at this time, or let it set and it will get thicker. I loved it both ways!

Preparation Time: 
1-2 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This soup is fantastic! This isn't usually my favorite type of flavors in a soup but it's a very rich, complex soup that you have to eat several bites and savor them to really appreciate it. Tastes like I ordered it in a fancy Thai restaurant.

I usually don't like mushrooms, bell peppers or zucchini in a soup but I used the amount called for and it was great.

The curry paste at the store wasn't vegan so I subbed 1TB curry powder and 1/2 TB red pepper paste. I doubled the rice, used the full amount of broth, no additional water and doubled the peanut butter. Next time, I will double the tofu. Right now, I'd like it a little thinner than I like so I'm adding rice to each bowl full.

0 likes

This was soooooo good!  :D  The only thing was that the little that was left over got very thick the next day.  So I bought some acorn squash and stuffed them.  Two great meals!  I was impressive!

0 likes

This soup was very impressive, even without the tomatoes (which I forgot to get at the store). My boyfriend raved about it, and is requesting more!! I'll put the tomatoes in this time...  Thanks for sharing an amazing recipe!  ;)b

0 likes

;)b

Super scrumptious!  I left out the greens and mushrooms and forgot to add the peanut butter, but it still turned out very well!  I ate two bowls and had to pry myself away from more (in order to save for the rest of the week)!  Yum!  Thank you!

0 likes

Amazing! This is a keeper! :)>>>

0 likes

I also threw in a handful of peanuts too!

0 likes

I have to agree with all of the reviews thus far...this soup is so yummy! I made it with onion, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, red potato, crushed tomatoes kale and spinach. I also added a little cayenne pepper, if my mouth isn't on fire then it's just not worth eating. I used jasmin rice instead of brown rice and unfortunately, I didn't have a fresh lime in the house, so I used lime juice.

0 likes

Additionally, this soup freezes and thaws well.

0 likes

So so good! Especially on a chilly fall day.  I added Lemon Grass Paste, comes in a tube. Super easy to use, and it gives the soup that Thia flavor.  I also chopped up a bunch of cilantro and added it right toward the end of cooking time.

0 likes

This soup kills it!!

At the very end, I stirred in one tablespoon of brown rice syrup, because I want it to taste like peanut sauce soup.  It does now.  So good! So good!

0 likes

Pages