2 tablespoons organic tahini
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of half of one lemon
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
4-5 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt

What you do: 

Drain and rinse garbanzo beans. Place half of the garbanzos and all of the remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, then gradually add remaining garbanzos through the cap opening while continuing to blend. Add a small amount of water or more olive oil for desired consistency. Sample and adjust other ingredients to taste.
For those concerned about fat content, use only 2 tablespoon olive oil and replace the other 2 tablespoon with water or vegetable broth. This will affect the flavor slightly, but it is still very good.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this last year for my father's birthday reception - there were 120 people, all non-vegans, and everyone who tried the breads with this hummus loved it! There was even an Arabian from Israel who was really impressed with this variation on hummus.

I'll probably make it for Christmas this year, but probably with roasted garlic to reduce the garlic smell!

0 likes

Great recipe with an amazing array of ingredients--it is by far the best that I've discovered on VegWeb.  The basil in particular adds an interesting, delicious dimension to the hummus.  My alterations:  I halved the tahini, lemon juice and olive oil amounts, and I added a decent-sized splash of apple cider vinegar, as well as chipotle seasoning.  I also doubled the amount of roasted red pepper.  All in all, it was fabulous.  I mixed the final result with quinoa, and voila!  Dinner is served.  :)

0 likes

yummy ;)b

0 likes

I almost followed the recipe exactly, just did some minor tweaking.  I added some fresh parsley, used half a roasted red pepper, and roasted the garlic, too.  I also blended the lemon juice and tahini (used 1/4 cup tahini and added maybe 1/4 cup water) first until frothy as the previous reviewer did as well.  This was divine!  My husband (who doesn't like store-bought hummus) and I loved it!  :)

0 likes