You are here

Member since March 2008

Lightly Warmed Garlic Tomato Bruschetta

What you need: 

2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (not minced)
1/4 cup fresh torn basil
fresh minced oregano, to taste
6 slices Italian sourdough, ciabatta or focaccia (vegan)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to taste

What you do: 

1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes and salt. (It might seem like a lot of salt, but like putting sugar on strawberries, salt on tomatoes has a kind of self-'macerating' action and they don't taste that salty in the end product.)
2. Place balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until liquid has reduced to approximately 1/4 cup.
3. In a heat-proof bowl, combine olive oil and garlic; heat in the microwave for 30 seconds (1000w on high) or in a small saucepan, until quite warm but not so hot you can't touch it.
4. In a bowl, toss together the tomatoes, oil-garlic mixture, basil, oregano.
5. Toast the bread, then top with the tomato mixture. Crack pepper over the bruschetta, then drizzle the balsamic reduction over - about 1 teaspoon per slice should be plenty. Top with a good sprig of the parsley.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4 to 6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I noticed that oregano was listed in the recipe but not in the ingredients, so I added a little less than the basil. It was sooooo good!!! Thanks!

www/bottegavenetaeshop/com

0 likes

I left out the vinegar but used a sourdough baguette, fresh pesto basil and fresh oregano from the garden. Wonderful stuff.

0 likes

I made this with sourdough bread (vegan).  it was delicious, especially with the reduced balsamic vineagar. 

the sourdough is fantastic! had this for a lunch option at my company gathering today and it was a huge hit! party supplies

0 likes

I made this with sourdough bread (vegan).  it was delicious, especially with the reduced balsamic vineagar. 

0 likes

I made this with a loaf of french bread... I used about four big vine tomatoes, a huge bunch of fresh basil, four cloves of garlic, olive oil and balsamic to taste, and s & p.  I lightly spread the bread slices with vegan margarine and sprinkled a garlic/parsley mixture on them and baked for a few minutes, until the bread was crunchy.  I kept the tomato mixture in a bowl and we just scooped it onto each piece of bread as we went.  I didn't heat/warm/cook any of the ingredients, just kept it all fresh and cold until ready to serve.  This was awesome!

0 likes

this was great! i used a bunch of cherry tomatoes instead, and sliced some vegan cheese to put on the toast before the bruschetta, and it was DELICIOUS! definitely something i will make again.  :)

0 likes

Really, really delicious. I used a French baguette for my bread, extra garlic (and it was minced...sorry!), and dried basil and oregano. I noticed that oregano was listed in the recipe but not in the ingredients, so I added a little less than the basil. It was sooooo good!!! Thanks!

0 likes