You are here

Member since July 2007

Sweet n Soy Stir-fry Tofu

What you need: 

1 box extra firm tofu
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup substitute (or real maple syrup if you aren't an obsessive calorie counter like me)
1 teaspoon vegan sugar granules
1 tablespoon sugar free (or regular if you prefer) blackberry jam
your choice of veggies-- I used fresh broccoli, bell pepper (red, yellow, and orange), fresh baby yellow carrots, and diced sweet yellow onion
garlic, to taste (I used about 2 tablespoons minced fresh)
1 cup long-grain brown rice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
non-stick cooking spray

What you do: 

Ok, to get the best "chicken"-like texture, freeze your tofu in the package overnight, then thaw in the fridge. Once thawed, drain and cut into squares of your preferred size. Pre-heat oven to Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet lightly with non-stick cooking spray and arrange pieces in one layer. Bake for about twenty-five minutes, or until just browned, turning occasionally to cook evenly without burning.
While your tofu is baking, heat half the olive oil in a skillet and saute onion and garlic until just beginning to caramelize. Reduce heat to medium and add in the blackberry jam, stirring until incorporated (watch for burning-- if it starts to smell like its burning, turn down the heat a bit). Add in the soy sauce, maple syrup, and sugar, again stirring until incorporated. Remove from heat.
Once your tofu is baked, mix into the sauce and return to medium heat, stirring until sauce begins to just bubble and tofu is well-coated. Reduce heat to lowest setting and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, about ten more minutes. Remove from heat.
This can be refrigerated overnight (or for several days) before use, tightly covered, to allow the flavor to be fully absorbed. If you choose to eat it now, prepare your meal now, prepare your rice as per package directions.
In a separate skillet, heat your remaining olive oil and stir-fry your veggies until just tender. Then add tofu, rice, and ALL YOUR SAUCE and heat while mixing until all ingredients until completely coated with sauce.
Then portion up and ENJOY!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

My bad! :) I usually have the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and check my tofu now and then until browned as directed.  Hope that helps.

0 likes

What temp should your oven be for baking the tofu?

0 likes