Cuban Black Beans

What you need: 

1/2 to 1 yellow onion, minced
olive oil, as needed
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 pound black beans, rinsed (not soaked!)
6 cups water
salt, to taste

What you do: 

1. Caramelize onion in olive oil. I like to burn a bit of the onions to give a smoky flavor. Add all spices and stir for about 30 seconds over medium heat.
2. Add beans and stir for 1 minute or so. You want the beans to absorb that flavor. Add water and turn heat to medium.
3. Cover loosely and cook for about 2 hours, or until done. Check the water level occasionally, and add more as needed.
4. Add salt when beans are tender.
The best way to serve this is over rice with a vinaigrette made from minced onion, parsley or cilantro, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oil.
Enjoy.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
3-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

the things i add to mine are sweet potato (it's supposed to be pumpkin, but up here there are none) and malanga (or white potato) 1/4 red pepper, garlic(cooked in some olive oil for a few minutes), and tomatoes ( not whole, proccessed in a food processor). and i don't use canned beans.

0 likes

Not bad, a good basis, needed extra seasonings/lime juice/sunblush toms and herbs for my tastebuds.  I used 1x400g tin black beans and tsp each of the spices listed.  Don't know how cuban this was but it became something quite tasty.  Served over quinoa. 3*

0 likes