You are here

Member since August 2007

Curry Cauliflower Soup

What you need: 

3 Tablespoons margarine
1 onion (I use Vidalia, you can use whatever you want)
1 Tablespoon of curry (I always add a few extra dashes)
3 grated apples
1 head of cauliflower, separated into small florets
6 cups of vegetable broth or vegan "chicken" stock
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
3 teaspoons grated ginger
salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste

What you do: 

This is a French recipe that originates from Brittany. I put my own spin on some portions of the recipe in order to make it vegan-friendly. The grated ginger is not absolutely necessary, as there is already ginger in the curry powder, but I love fresh ginger so I like to add my own.
Peel and grate the apples and set aside. Grate the ginger (if desired) and set aside with the apples. Separate the head of cauliflower into small florets and set aside.
Finely chop the onion.
Melt the margarine into a large soup pot, at somewhere between low and medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the curry and the onions, and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the grated apples, ginger, cauliflower, parsley, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. I eyeball the nutmeg -- I'm a big fan of nutmeg so I add probably about 1 tbsp, but if you aren't too keen on nutmeg then I obviously wouldn't add as much.
Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
After 15 minutes, add the vegetable broth (or vegan "chicken" stock). Let this sit on the stove at a soft boil for about 20-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower gets soft.
Puree the soup with a blender. Taste test the final product, and feel free to stir in some more curry or nutmeg if you desire!
This puree also makes a very good sauce on a baked potato. Yum!

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.