You are here

Member since June 2007

Vegan Brownies

What you need: 

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of organic vegan sugar(some companies use bone char in their sugar)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 cup of soy milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of whatever topping (walnuts, almonds, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.)

What you do: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix all this crap together and pour it into either a greased or non-stick baking pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and EAT IT!

Preparation Time: 
30 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
10-12
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

To add a taste review to my previous comment, they taste amazing! A bit dense, but they are pretty gooey/chewy as well. Super good. Especially if you are looking for an oil free recipe for whatever reason!

0 likes

I started making the recipe before I read the reviews. I was searching for an oil free recipe as I was completely out of vegetable oil and only a small amount of hemp oil and out of a few other basic ingredients as well! After reading the reviews, I tweaked the recipe a bit.

1.5 C unbleached all purpose flour (would not recommend whole wheat)
~1.5 C vegan cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
~2/3 C cacao powder
~3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1.75 C vanilla soy milk
1/2 C Karo light syrup

I baked it in a greased 9x5 baking pan for 20 minutes. I didn't top it with anything. I would suggest a light frosting or fruit compote if wanting to top it. It is now pretty sweet, I made it for a vegan (I am vegan as well) though we will be the only two vegans enjoying the brownies. High omnivorous and skeptic crowd.

0 likes

I heart the idea of oil free cake! I did need to alter this slightly to make it work though! I added nearly another cup of milk, and about half a cup ish of golden syrup to help make it squidgy!  ;)b

0 likes

....hm.
when I made these the second time, they did turn out more rubbery than fudgey-chewy...and I have no idea what I might have done differently this time.

Maybe this is one of those recipes that is super-sensitive to over-mixing, or one that's really particular about oven temp/time.

MY ADVICE:

Thoroughly mix the liquids and sugar together first.
    (maybe add a few tablespoons of oil to this?)
    Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
    Make a well in the bowl of dry ingredients, and slowly pour the wet stuff in while stirring it all in.
    do NOT overmix! Typically, the more you stir, the more dense your end product will be.
    Bake in a fully preheated oven, and check at 24 minutes or so to prevent overbaking.

.....and, I realize this isn't as sweet as most brownie recipes...The flour is double the amount of sugar here, so if you want a supersweet brownie, I suppose this recipe isn't what you're looking for.
taste-wise, they might need a tad more cocoa powder to up the chocolateyness...and definitely use a milk-like liquid, perhaps a flavored/sweetened one for added taste.  When it turns out right, I think that this is a good recipe for a not-too-sweet brownie that's meant to be topped with some sort of indulgence (frosting, etc.).

0 likes

these brownies did have the consistency of rubber, they weren't fluffy or even really brownie like at all...kind of disappointing

0 likes

They are much better cold! I can't really taste the cinnamon anymore though. I forgot to add I used water instead of soy milk.

0 likes

Someone had some of those evil chocolate chip trader joe's mini-cakes in the fridge, so I felt the need to make brownies. These seemed like they would be easy, which they are, but product--not so hot. I added more cocoa powder (it ended up being about 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder) as well as a bunch more cinnamon (approx. 1.27 tsp total). The cinnamon taste is good, so if anyone else makes these use lots of it! I think they will be better after they are cold, also. If they are significantly better, I will review again.

0 likes

terrible for me! i rechecked the ingredients and recipe and i did everything right. they tasted like flour. the texture was not gooey brownie like but dry and thick. they weren't chocolately enough at all. Nobody else tastes the flour?

0 likes

Ok I just made these and thought they were awful!
They were chewy, rubbery, and not sweet enough. I don't know what could be done to fix them.. if anything.

0 likes

I'll admit that I was a little skeptical of the lack of oil or an appropriate substitute, but these turned out pretty yummy anyhow!  I thought that brownie fudgeyness was achieved by either a high oil content or by a closer flour : sugar ratio (this one's only 2:1!), but this recipe yielded just the right fudgey texture that I wanted...because we all know that fudgey > cakey when it comes to brownies!

I also like that these aren't overpoweringly sweet, which makes them perfect to top with a thin layer of sugary indulgence....in my case, I attempted to make a chocolate frosting from one of the recipes on this site....I screwed something up, because it turned out rather gelatinous  ???  .  Luckily, these brownies were good enough that I didn't really care!

next time I try these (and I know I will!), I'm just going to stick to chocolate chips or nuts for the topping.

0 likes