Shortbread Cookies

What you need: 

3/4 pound vegan margarine
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

What you do: 

1. Cream vegan margarine and sugar together. Add vanilla and cream some more.
2. Add flour then salt and mix till just mixed. Turn out onto a floured counter and press into a disc shape. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. After refrigeration, roll dough out to about 1/2" thick. Cut out into desired shapes and back for 20-25 minutes.
This is a really good basic recipe. You can dip the finished product in chocolate or roll them in cinnamon and sugar before baking. I am currently cutting them into tombstone shapes so they can top a vegan pumpkin chocolate cheesecake for Halloween! Enjoy and hurray.

Preparation Time: 
total 30 min baking and chilling an hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I found these turned out perfect for what I was looking for. They were slightly hard but not too much. Just right for edible gift bags. I also thought they had the perfect flavour -- mildly sweet; a wonderful blank canvas for decorating with frosting/sprinkles/chocolate. The dough was quite tedious to work with but with some patience they turned out beautifully. Thanks for a great recipe! I'm definitely making these every year for Christmas.

1 like

Yep.  2 cups butter / 1 pound

0 likes

One and a half sticks.

0 likes

How much marg is 3/4 of a pound?  How many TBs?

I dont have a scale :)

LisaB

0 likes

The dough seemed a bit dry to me so I added about 1/4 cup of soymilk to help bring it together and it worked great! The 20-25 minutes is the baking time, it shouldn't need a second chilling

0 likes

These were pretty good. Made them with ww pastry flour. Could have used a little "something" - maybe I'll try them again with almond extract or additional vanilla extract. I ended up painting them with melted chocolate, which helped.

0 likes

How long do they bake?  Is 20-25 the baking time (??)  or second chilling time?  It sounds like the latter..

0 likes

just made these and they are fab, i rolled half thin for crispy cookies, and half fat for soft ones, brilliant and so easy. thank you xx

0 likes

I just made some! They are awesome! :)>>>

0 likes

Glad you guys liked them, I generaly prefer softer cookies but these make great shapes, and hold up in a big cold glass of vanilla soymilk yummmmmmmmmm

0 likes

Pages