You are here

Member since August 2006

Easy Garlic Lentils (In the rice cooker!)

What you need: 

2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup lentils
2 cups H2O
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

http://secretspicy15.livejournal.com
Put the olive oil and garlic in the rice cooker and turn it on to "Cook". Stir frequently, it should only take a couple minutes for the garlic to begin to brown. You don't want to burn it, so keep an eye on it, but it is nice if its kind of golden brown.
Add the lentils and water (it helps to have these pre-measured out... The rice cooker gets really hot really fast, which means the garlic could burn while you measure), give it a stir, and cook with the lid on for a while. Check on them and stir every once in a while. I wish I had payed closer attention to the time it took; I think it was 20-30 minutes though... Just keep on checking and test a lentil or two if they seem to be getting done. Alternately, you could just leave it till the rice cooker pops, but I think that may lead to dried out lentils... I'll have to experiment more and update this post. Anyway, it's done when the lentils are tender and delicious. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
I think this could be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled, as long as your rice cooker is big enough. The leftovers also probably keep well, lentils usually do.

Preparation Time: 
~half hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Absolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work. live news channels

0 likes

Thank you, Thank you Thank you for this recipe and to secretspicy15 for this info and to peacock for the carrot and broccoli enhancement.  It is delicious.  I put a med onion 4 gloves of garlic 2 tsp curry power and 1/2 tsp tumeric and1/8 tsp cayenne then added the carrots (no broccoli).  After 40 minutes (I found that best also), I put it into my Healthmaster and blended to a creamy curried carrot lentil soup.  Oh so good.

0 likes

I used green lentils, 2 cloves of garlic, coriander, paprika, and savory. I had a little bit of water left over at the end and had to drain it off. This recipe is good for when you can't think of anything else to make for dinner! Nothing too fancy or involved, and it fills your tummy.

When I was cooking my garlic over the heat, my rice cooker kept flipping from "cook" to "warm," so keep on eye on that. You might have to keep flipping it back to keep your heat up.

0 likes

This turned out really good.  I added some carrots and cauliflower to the rice cooker.  I also added about 1/2 a cup more water.  I cooked it for about 40 minutes.  When it was done there was some extra water left in the rice cooker.  I drained the lentils, carrots and cauliflower and put the water in a saute pan.  I added Braggs Amino Acid, a thickening agent and some vegetable spice mix and made a gravy.  I put the lentil mixture over brown rice, added the gravy on top; VIOLA.  Delicioco.  Thanks.

0 likes

is this really mushy?? And soft like alot of other lentil resipes?? I can never get my lentils too get reealllyyy soft and mushy like mashed patatoes ya know???

i know red lentils get soft and mushy very quickly... those are the only kind i have used so far... maybe try those

0 likes

is this really mushy?? And soft like alot of other lentil resipes?? I can never get my lentils too get reealllyyy soft and mushy like mashed patatoes ya know???

0 likes

sounds great . I made split peas in the rice cooker today... like is stated....just check and add more liquid as needed till they are tender... H2O or homemade vegetable broth...LEMON juice and Garlic with Onion is a great seasoning...
Great use of an appliance!! yeah! :-D

0 likes

Any suggestions on what to add to spice it up?

0 likes

yeah it was really plain when i made it initially, but oddly satisfying (also at the time i had no spices on hand... so it worked out)

i've used this to make all kinds of lentils, works great as long as you make sure to have enough water!!

Glad it was helpful! :-)

0 likes

I can't say I followed the ingredients closely because I've been cooking lentils long enough to know this receipe would be really plain, but the IDEA and method for cooking in the rice cooker!! :)>>> :)>>> :)>>>

I can't thank you enough.  Worked FAB for my dal receipe.  I intend to experiement a lot more in the future.  Even trying with one of my many typical stovetop dal and veggie receipes.

Thanks!  Brillant idea. ;)b

0 likes

Pages