1 bunch spinach, stems removed and chopped
10 ounces penne pasta
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. In a large pot, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add chopped spinach, stirring to coat evenly.
2. Cover and simmer until wilted, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside when done. Meanwhile, start boiling pasta and set a timer for 10 minutes. This is the perfect timing for al dente.
3. In a small pot, melt margarine, then add flour, stirring to break up any chunks. Add milk, stirring constantly. As soon as the sauce starts to bubble, the sauce will continue to thicken. I like to take the pot off the heat about a minute after the sauce starts bubbling.
4. When pasta is done, drain and add to large pot with the spinach. Add the cream sauce, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and mix well.

Preparation Time: 
20-30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this last night for my sister and myself and it was awesome! I upped the garlic because I can never have enough garlic! Tongue out And put in 4 tomatoes because they needed to be used up! I kind of over cooked the pasta but it was still awesome! I think I shall make a half batch now for myself, I'm getting hungry thinking about it again!

0 likes

this recipe was ok except for the fact that their was way to much garlic in it.

0 likes

My honey is not a cook and he went to this site and made this and it's AMAZING!! OMG. Guess who is going to be doing more cooking?!

0 likes

A nice, basic pasta with bechamel.  I added an extra clove of garlic, didn't bother to peel the tomatoes, and of course, added extra seasoning.  Rather than using plain salt & pepper, I used a house seasoning comprised of granulated garlic and onion, sea salt, and black pepper.  In addition, I used a touch of freshly ground nutmeg.  I also subbed rigatoni, as I didn't have penne on hand (and only about 8 ounces).  For the milk, I used unsweetened soy.  By the time I mixed everything together at then end, I did add a couple extra splashes of soymilk so it would have a lovely, saucy consistency.

0 likes

I love this recipe, I eat it a lot. Sooo good :D

0 likes

This one was just okay, although with a little (a lot actually :P) of spices such as nutmeg, salt and pepper it was pretty good. I ended up using half the pasta and twice the spinach which seemed to work perfectly. I loved the consistany of the sauce and the over all look was pretty impressive. I will definitely make this recipe again, but continue to experiment with different spices ;)

0 likes

I tried out this recipe and had spectacular results.

0 likes

I cannot thank you enough for this recipe! It has literally changed my life. I was so depressed about not being able to enjoy Italian food or be able to prepare it for my boyfriend and his Italian family since every other recipe I had tried turned out lack luster, but your recipe was really delicious!

0 likes

really good base for any pasta sauce, all i added was some mushrooms and basil
i will definitely make this again! ;)b

0 likes

Okay, so I did this again last night, and it is soooo good.  I used a pound of pasta, a pound of frozen spinach, and 12 oz frozen asparagus.  Like last time, I added some vegan parm, nut yeast, and spices to the sauce, and this was awesome!

0 likes

Pages