You are here

Member since April 2006

TVP Meetballs

What you need: 

2 cups dry textured soy protein granules
1 3/4 cups veggie broth (or 1 bouillon cube dissolved in water)
1 medium yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
oil, as needed for frying

What you do: 

1. Reconstitute textured soy protein granules by placing them in a microwave safe bowl, pouring the broth over the granules, covering tightly with plastic wrap and placing them in the microwave for 5-6 minutes.
2. Alternatively, you can pour boiling broth over the dry granules, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and mix in the flour, Tamari and all of the spices. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
4. With your hands, form balls about 1 1/2" in diameter. Use a lot of pressure when forming your balls, tee-hee, you don’t want them to fall apart.
5. Lightly fry them in a small amount of oil, rolling them around in the pan to brown on all sides.
Source of recipe: This recipe was submitted by Joni Marie Newman, author of Cozy Inside, published by the Newman Press. See http://www.cozyinside.com for more recipes.

Preparation Time: 
20 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Outstanding!  I really need assistance with the  TVP part!   Then from their I just used my regular vegan meatball recipe which was much the same:  crushed garlic, some chibata bread for crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, and the gluten flour. I made a nice marinara and penne to serve! Thanks so much.

0 likes

Hi RedHedM- 
Hopefully your TVP Meetballs turned out alright!  After making these once, I'd recommend mixing the sauteed onions, spices and TVP together and then the flour or wheat gluten flour.  That way, it will bind together a little better.  Hope it helps! 

0 likes

These were extraordinary!  :)>>>  I baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and they held together perfectly fine.  They were crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. 

0 likes

I also broiled 5 min. , flipped, then baked for about 10 min. at 350 and they held together perfectly!  I had some leftover tvp pepperoni and added a little brewers yeast just for extra nutrients.  Also, after taking onion mixture off the heat, I added the tvp, sprinkled all the seasonings on top and stirred then added the gluten flour and stirred one more time.  Squeezing, not rolling, is the key I believe to helping these stick together.  I added these to some spaghetti for a quick easy dish...great recipe with great taste!!!

0 likes

These meatballs are my new best friends.

I called my sicilian mother while making them, and she advised I add 1/4 C. tomato sauce to the mix.  I also upped the vital wheat gluten to 3/4 C. and soy sauce to 2 T. Instead of frying them (frying pan is dirty and I refuse to wash it if it's not my turn), I baked them in the toaster oven for 15 minutes per side.  Lined the pan with foil, sprayed it, and then sprayed the tops of the meatballs, too, before baking.  They browned up really nicely. 

Made 'em into my first ever meatball sub last night with some Daiya shreds.  While it completely annihilated any desire to go for a walk or do anything else but slump into the sofa for the evening, meatball subs are my new favourite guilty pleasure.

Nom nom.

Come to think of it, I bet it would be good on a bed of wilted spinach leaves, too.

0 likes

I made these tonight, and the meatless balls by themselves were not very flavorful, but that's probably because i didn't season them enough. But as soon as I added them to my spicy tomato sauce they were really good. I also baked mine instead of fried. I heated my oven to 370 degrees. Baked them for 20 minutes, then flipped them all over, and baked for another 15-20 minutes. I will definitely be using this recipe again (with a few of my little tweaks)  :)

0 likes

Okay. I am pretty darned good in the kitchen. But these I totally flunked at. They did not hold together worth a hill of beans. The taste value was great, but they just kept falling apart. Any advice...from anyone??

0 likes

These were super yummy, and I served this with some pasta and a simple marinara (oooh, fancy! :>). I also had problems keeping them together, so I just kept sprinkling in more vital wheat gluten. It also helped a little to flatten them a bit into more of a patty, then they were easier to cook in the pan and didn't seem to fall apart as much as the balls. Very tasty though!

0 likes

These had the most amazing taste and texture to them (and even though I've been veg for 12 years, I'm still wierd about texture) I was pleasantly surprised. My problem was getting the balls to stay balls. They totally disentegrated on me once I started the panfry. Maybe they needed more VWG? Either way I froze the raw remainder and will be trying them baked.

0 likes

This was my first real try with TVP, and it wasn’t bad. I could not get the balls to stay together worth anything and I didn’t have the patience to keep trying after the 3rd one fell apart… so I just fried it all up in the skillet like I use to with ground meat. I ate it with spaghetti and it was not bad… the meat eating boyfriend agreed. But I doubt I’ll make it again and chances are, leftovers will go to waste. I have a feeling TVP probably just isn’t my thing.

0 likes

Pages