You are here

Member since July 2006

Silken Chocolate Cherry Mousse

What you need: 

Crust:
1 (5 ounce) package vegan graham crackers, crumbled
1/3 cup sweetener (I use Stevia blend)
1/3 cup vegan buttery spread, melted Mousse:
1 1/2 (12 ounce) packages silken soft tofu, room temperature (aseptic if you can find it)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cherry flavoring
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips vegan whipped topping, optional
cherries or nuts, optional

What you do: 

1. Pour cracker crumbs into a dish or pie pan. Stir in the sweetener and then the melted vegan buttery spread. Flatten as you wish and refrigerate.
2. Blend the tofu until smooth in a food processor. Blend in the vanilla and cherry flavorings. Blend in the maple syrup (adjust to your taste).
3. Melt chocolate chips slowly (in microwave or over hot water) and blend into the tofu mixture.
4. Pour into pie shell. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Before serving, spread with whipped topping and cherries or nuts, if desired.
I like to drizzle with chocolate syrup.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I found really cute individual/mini ready-made graham cracker crusts so I only made the mousse part of this. It was great! I couldn't decide between doing cherry-chocolate or raspberry-chocolate, so I did both! For the cherry I used a combo. of maraschino cherry juice and some amaretto and for the raspberry ones I used extract. I topped the cherry ones with a cherry and the raspberry ones with a couple raspberries. I wish I took a picture because they looked so good and everyone at the picnic I brought them to said how professional they looked. 

A while ago I made a different mousse pie made of just tofu and chocolate chips which was way too rich even for me. So I think that using less chips and maple syrup cuts the richness while keeping it a good sweetness (which you can decrease by using less maple syrup). There are many extract/flavor possibilities with this one.

I used the full amount of tofu and chocolate chips and got 12 individual pies out of the mousse recipe.

0 likes

Does anyone know where I can find vegan graham crackers online? I have been looking for them in my town for a year and a half and haven't found one. And for me personally it's a food I can't occasionally 'cheat' on because I'm highly allergic to honey. I really miss graham crackers!  :'(

http://store.veganessentials.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=graham+crackers&Submit1.x=0&Submit1.y=0

0 likes

Does anyone know where I can find vegan graham crackers online? I have been looking for them in my town for a year and a half and haven't found one. And for me personally it's a food I can't occasionally 'cheat' on because I'm highly allergic to honey. I really miss graham crackers!  :'(

0 likes

Made it, but it came off a bit to chocolaty tasting...if that makes any sense. The consistency was to die for. But I can tweak this one for sure.

0 likes
Anonymous

I just made the mousse part becuase I can't find gluten free graham crackers.
This is my first SUCCESS with tofu!
I made a few changes. I thirded the recipe to use a 1/2 box of mori-nu silken firm tofu (which worked out fine) with 2/3 of a 72% cacao chocolate bar that I ground up in the food processor; and the rest of the ingredients omitting the cherry flavoring.
It made a little less than 1.5 cups of pudding with a half of cup being 182 calories.
This recipe encouraged my to try tofu again.

0 likes

YUM! I used one box of light silken tofu, one cup of tropical source choc chips, about 2-3 TB of agave syrup, and a tiny splash of vanilla. Tastes just like Whole Foods vegan chocolate mousse!!!

0 likes

i took JH's tip and just used one box of tofu and maybe only a tiny bit more than a cup of chocolate chips to fill one pie shell.  i topped it with some marachino cherries so that people would get the idea of what to expect since it just looks like a chocolate mousse.. didn't use any whipped cream and it was delicious without it.  added a splash of amaretto too.

**grenadine is in fact not cherry flavoring..  found this out as i was pouring it into my mix.. my dad informed me that its actually made from pomegranates and then directed me to a bottle clearly labelled 'cherry syrup' that you can buy in the mixer section of the liquor aisle.  yum anyway.

0 likes

This is SO GOOD.

I didn't want to open a second pack of silken to use half of it so I cut back on the chocolate chips and just did vanilla and maple syrup to taste. (No cherry flavoring)
It gets very stiff when chilled so be sure to put it in the serving cups (not another separate container to chill like I did!)
Oh, I didn't do the graham cracker part (didn't have any) instead I served it over a granola cereal that has dried cherries and nuts in it. No whipped topping. It was wonderful.

Next time I may try peppermint flavoring.

This is my new favorite vegweb recipe!

0 likes

When you make this remember that it's 1/3 c. stevia BLEND not 1/3 cup stevia!! Ack!

0 likes