You are here

Member since April 2003

Perfect Summertime Potato Salad

What you need: 

5-6 large russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled & diced into large pieces (sub an equal amount of red potatoes if you prefer)
1/4 medium-large red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (feel free to substitute lightly steamed fresh peas)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped baby carrots (of course, you can use regular carrots)
3/4-1 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 Tablespoons minced fresh dill
celery salt, to taste
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

What you do: 

First, place the diced potatoes, along with a generous sprinkle of sea salt, in a pot. Add water to cover the potatoes, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until tender, around 15 minutes. Once potatoes are done cooking, remove from heat. Rinse the potatoes with cool water to prevent them from getting overcooked. When the potatoes have cooled, mix them with the rest of the ingredients. Chill the potato salad in the refrigerator to let all of the flavors combine for 1 hour, or until serving time.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made this recipe for a work potluck and for a large party and it was loved all around.  This is a keeper!  We used red potatoes, dried dill, a little less mayo and more mustard.  Worked great!

0 likes

yummy. as my boyfriend said "definitely ayoba"

0 likes

I have to agree that this is the perfect base to tweak the salad to your own tastes. I added pickles, celery, more peas, carrots, onions, some sorrel and more dried dill than it called for as well as spicy brown mustard and the juice of 1 1/2 limes. I also thinned down the dressing for the salad with water so it wasn't too thick. Best potato salad I have made! ;)b

0 likes

This is a great base potato salad.  I will definitely use again, adding a different combo of new ingredients to the base.  For my first batch, this is what I added to the salad (and it turned out great!!):

1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
about a 1/2 tsp of dried parsley
about a 1/8 cup of green onions
instead of fresh dill I used dried dill as it's all I had on hand
a little more vegan mayonnaise

0 likes

Thank you soooo much for this recipe!  It's so perfect! I've been looking for a really good potato salad recipe for the longest time, and this one is amazing.  This is my new go-to recipe for a potluck! thanks!

0 likes

Unbelievably good!  This will be my new go-to recipe for potlucks and BBQs!!  I boiled the potatoes for 30 minutes before peeling them, and didn't have any carrots so only used peas.  I also added a little pickle relish. 

Love it!  Thank you!!

0 likes

I have never made potato salad before and had a hankering for some the other day and this was just what I needed! I used dijon mustard instead of yellow and omitted the celery salt because I didn't have any. I threw in some chopped up pickles because I was curious and it was great. Thank you!!!

0 likes

I've made dozens of potato salads and this is by far my new favorite! It was healthier then the one I usually make. I only had 2 HUGE potaotes so the rest of the items I just kinda eye balled. I did do without the celery salt, mustard, and salt and pepper. I thought it had plenty of flavor and was fabulous as it was!  One of my new favorites.

0 likes

Wow!  Very yummy!  I was in heaven for every bite!  :)>>>

0 likes

looooooved it! super excited to make it again!!! nummy!!!!

0 likes

Pages