1 clove garlic, minced
5-6 white or cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
bread crumbs, as needed
1-2 teaspoons flour, optional

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, if baking. Add some salt to the grated zucchini and allow it to drain for a few minutes in a colander to remove excess moisture.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms, parsley and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add enough bread crumbs so that the mixture sticks together well enough to form patties. I find that adding the small amount of flour helps the mixture stick together better. The mix should make about 8 (4") round patties depending on the size of the zucchini used.
4. Cook the patties in one of two ways: pan fry them in a bit of oil or lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and bake for about 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Serve these as a side dish to accompany your favorite pasta or rice dish. They are great as is or with a little marinara sauce. They also make great sandwiches with a good Italian bread and marinara sauce. Enjoy!!

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Loved this recipe. Really good flavor. I'm trying to find ways to get my husband to eat more veggies and this recipe worked out great with whole wheat spaghetti and marinara sauce. I added diced red peppers and used lots of bread crumbs and just a tad bit more flour. You really do need to squeeze the zucchini to get out all the liquid. Baked it at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

0 likes

My roommate and I LOVE this recipe...she is taking some to her daughter... 1 T. chopped jar garlic, 1T. dried parsley, 3 t. Italian seasoning, 1/3 c. oat bran,  3T or more as needed whole wheat flour and I added 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes.  I did drain the zuc. with salt in a colander but had to push it to get the liquid out.  I refrigerated the patties for about 5 mins. Then I sort of flash fried them in a hotter oil so they were crispy on the outside and softer on the inside.  We all agree, they taste like cornbread stuffing! Yummy, thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

As is, this recipe is yukky. It totally fell apart in the oven. I transferred it to a fry pan with a little oil, added a little more flour and it turned into crumbles. Useless. I think some sort of potato or egg replacer is needed.

I would not make this again. Bummer, because it sounds good on paper.
:-\

0 likes

This is a great recipe.  I had leftovers and just re-heated them in a frying pan the next day for breakfast with tofu scramble.  Delicious!!!

Thanks for helping me use up my crisper full of zucchinis.

0 likes

;)b  I thought this was a great recipe! I think the garlic was a little overpowering and i may omit it next time and add a dash of garlic powder instead. I put some vegan parm cheese on top and a little spaghetti sauce and it was yummy, i was just not in a ketchup mood. Plain or dressed up, these are great!!!! I will probably make them again very soon. Yum. Oh, i used italian seasoned bread crumbs and i thought it added a great touch, and reduced the seassonings. The squash needs to be drained and patted dry, or these will be too wet.

0 likes

These were really tasty. I'll definitely make them again. I oven-baked them though and the zucchini and parsley discoloured and it didn't look all that appetising, though that was improved with a little tomato sauce and parsley on top. Next time I think I'll fry them.

I also made a few modifications. I fried the onion, mushrooms and garlic before adding them to the rest of the ingredients. They weren't coming together, so I added a little extra flour and eventually some ground flax mixed with water as an egg-substitute. Very good stuff.

0 likes

Delicious! The straining process is VERY important if you want your patties to hold together. I think I will use more flour next time, and perhaps weight the zucchini to drain it better. However it's well worth "tweaking" the quantities for another time.

0 likes

YUMMERS! these were sooo good.  I cooked the onions, mushrooms and extra garlic together before adding it to the zucchini. I also used flour as well as panko bread crumbs, no parsley. Great flavor.

0 likes

THIS RECIPE IS fantastic  i had to use an egg replacer to hold all my ingredients together, but they turned out amazing!  i also threw in some dried kale to absorb some of the extra moisture from the zuchini (instead of soaking in salt).  and i used our fresh basil instead of dried herbs... i baked them in the oven on a greased cookie sheet, put it in a flour tortilla and it was a perfect meal!  my 2 year old daughter ate the WHOLE thing (rarely happens).  Thank you for the post!

0 likes