1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup peanut butter (room temp.
1 oz. melted baking chocolate
1/4 cup soy milk

What you do: 

1) Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
2) In another bowl, mix the banana and sugar. Add the Peanut Butter and melted chocolate.
3) mix flour mixture into sugar mixture, adding the soy milk a little at a time.
4) pour into a greased/floured 8"x8" pan. Mixture will be very thick, so you may need to spread it out a bit.
5) bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until done.
I adapted this from a recipe I found on the web. Because of the weird consistency of the batter before baking, I was surprised that these brownies turned out to be surprisingly moist and fudgey. I used some leftover store-bought icing to add a touch of decoration, then cut them into shapes with a cookie cutter the next morning. I made them for a potluck at work, and no one suspected that they were vegan.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

these were very good and well received with everyone. the only modification I made is that I added 2-3 tbsp of cocoa powder as I didnt feel one ounce was enough! and it ended up being a good idea since I still found they werent quite chocolatey enough. otherwise great!

0 likes

I made theese for my dad for fathers day.  I let em' cool and sent them in a tin.  He was so excited that he called ME on fathers day.  They were so yummy he ate them for breakfast !  Of course he never guessed they were vegan.  I'm sending this receipe to my frens:)

0 likes

I wasn't to sure about these based on the other reviews....Mine turned out pretty good.  My banana was gigantic and super-ripe so they had a very strong banana taste.  I couldn't really taste the PB in the recipe so I made so PB frosting to put on top. 

The brownies were very dense and kind of sunk lot in the middle once cooled. 

Also, if you are like me and don't have solid baking chocolate you can substitute 3 TBS cocoa powder mixed with 1 TBS EB to equal the 1 oz of chocolate called for in this recipe.  However, I would suggest doubling that amount to give it more flavor. 

0 likes
Anonymous

Very good brownies! Not too sweet and even though I am in love with a different chocolate brownie recipe I have to say that I will be making these just as much. They taste just as good in a different way! I love banana and peanut butter. I did make a couple of modifications. I added a teaspoon of vanilla and half a teaspoon of almond extract and just about twice as much chocolate. I also used natural cane turbinado sugar.

I have to say, just so that others won't be worried, when i pulled them out of the oven they smelled a bit bad. I was immediately struck by a bad smell and was worried. BUT....after they cooled they smelled soooooo good and they taste really quite amazing! Yay! And, as others have said, they taste best the day after they are cooked.

Again I give these brownies five YAYS! =-)

0 likes

Really awesome batter first of all!  These turned out beautifully.  While hard to do, I would suggest not eating them until they're fully cooled.  They're tasty right out of the oven, but not chewy like a brownie - more crumbly.  The next morning though, with coffee at breakfast  ;) , they were amazing!

I made one major modification - I didn't have the bar of unsweetened chocolate, so I used 3/4 cup cocoa powder and about 1/4 of pure canola oil.  I also added more peanut butter, cuz I REALLY love peanut butter.

Give 'em a try!

0 likes