You are here

Member since May 2007

Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese

What you need: 

pasta shells or elbows, cooked (I use 16 oz., you can use down to 8 oz. and be fine.)
1/3 cup of nutritional yeast (more if you like)
1/2 cup vegan soy butter
1/2 bulb of garlic, finely minced (more or less to taste)
2 whole green onions, chopped
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/4 cup of flour
1/3 cup of water
olive oil
salt and pepper

What you do: 

Set your cooked pasta aside in a bowl or in a pot, whichever you prefer.
Saute your onions and garlic with a little olive oil in a pot until thoroughly cooked.
Add water and soy butter, let it melt on medium heat until thoroughly incorporated.
Put in your mustard and lemon juice, whisk together. Let cook for about thirty seconds, then add in your nutritional yeast, whisk, add flour, whisk.
Allow to bubble for about thirty more seconds, whisking as needed. Salt and pepper to taste, mix into noodles.
The finished consistency will be a little melty, a little clumpy, just like cheddar cheese! I made this one day when I was having a craving for good old fashioned mac and cheddar.
Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
15 minute
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Not too bad, but I think there is too much lemon juice.  It seems like the dominant flavor in this dish, and I don't think it should be.  Nice texture and color and quick to make.  I am always on the lookout for vegan mac n cheese recipes that don't use soy cheese (can be hard for me to find).  If I make this again, I'm cutting back on the lemon juice and maybe the mustard as well.  Also, 1/2 bulb of garlic, or a 1/2 clove of garlic?  I guessed a clove, bulb might be too much?

Well I tried to estimate the measurements, the lemon juice may have come out a little more than what I added. I use 1/2 bulb, not clove, but I like a lot of garlic and at the time, I only had a small bulb. It would probably do just fine with one or two cloves.  :)

The mustard and lemon juice is what gives it that "cheddar" flavor, so be careful not to cut it down too much or you might lose it.

0 likes

Not too bad, but I think there is too much lemon juice.  It seems like the dominant flavor in this dish, and I don't think it should be.  Nice texture and color and quick to make.  I am always on the lookout for vegan mac n cheese recipes that don't use soy cheese (can be hard for me to find).  If I make this again, I'm cutting back on the lemon juice and maybe the mustard as well.  Also, 1/2 bulb of garlic, or a 1/2 clove of garlic?  I guessed a clove, bulb might be too much?

0 likes