1/2 cup rolled oats (oatmeal)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup nuts, optional
handful of raisins, optional

What you do: 

Grate the peel of the orange, then squeeze the juice into a cup. Combine with boiling water to make 1 cup. Blend dates then combine with hot orange/water and stir well. Combine flour, oats, baking powder/soda, salt, and sugar. Combine date mixture, orange rind, oil, applesauce, vanilla. Mix wet into dry, add nuts and raisins, a little cinnamon and put into a 9X5 pan. Bake @ 350 for about 55 min.

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I added raisins, sunflower seeds, agave nectar instead of sugar and cinnamon apple sauce, I also sprinkled coconut on top of the loaf. Can't wait to try it!

0 likes

I have it in the oven! My mother requested some date and orange loaf... and well, this one seemed perfect. However, having a look at the recipe, I knew I would have to cut some of that sugar down! I don't think she was expecting a vegan loaf though!  ^-^

Thanks for this healthier version of date loaf! I'll post a photo of how it turned out!

0 likes

I eat free range organic eggs, is the apple sauce being used as an egg replacer?

thanks!

0 likes

Ooh, this sounds yummy! Quick question - is it more like a bread loaf or a sugar-y candy loaf? My grandma used to make small date loafs/rolls for Christmas and they were pure sugar (but delicious!).

It is definitely a very sweet bread loaf. I think that adding the orange is what surprised me the most about the flavour of this loaf. I wouldn't have thought of adding orange to it....it's brilliant :)

0 likes

Ooh, this sounds yummy! Quick question - is it more like a bread loaf or a sugar-y candy loaf? My grandma used to make small date loafs/rolls for Christmas and they were pure sugar (but delicious!).

0 likes

This is such an easy recipe. When it is baking, there is a sweet orangey smell that took over the kitchen. DH couldn't wait for it to cool before slicing off a piece.
It is very sweet, so next time I am cutting down on the sugar. I find dates to be extremely sweet & don't need a lot of extra sugar.
The name says it all....it IS a yummy date loaf. I'm keeping this recipe. Thanx  :)

0 likes