2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup plain or vanilla soymilk
confectioner's sugar

What you do: 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Oil an 8-inch round cake pan,
In mixing bowl, toss the strawberries with 3/4 cup of the sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
In another mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, oil, and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and mix with a fork until crumbly. Add the soymilk and stir just enough to dampen the dry ingredients.
Scoop the batter into the pan and press it in evenly with your fingers.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until browned.
Allow the cake to cool enough to handle. Slice the cake in half lengthwise. Cool completely. Just before serving, arrange the sugared fruit between the two layers of cake. Top with more strawberries and a sprinkling of sifted confectioner's sugar.

Preparation Time: 
prep. time 20 minutes; cook time 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I had my own biscuit recipe, but enjoyed the berry instructions. I wound up using 1/4 c sugar as I felt that 3/4 c was too much. Thanks!

0 likes

Mmm, the cake part is very yummy and just perfect with the strawberries.  I used less than half the amount of sugar called for on the strawberries and they were still very sweet.  I put a dollop of whipped topping on top and it was a huge hit at brunch!  Thanks for a delicious and simple shortcake recipe!

0 likes

Wow, this is delicious and simple!  A perfect summertime treat.  Great picture, Tkitty!

0 likes

Oh my gosh.  This was so good!  This cake is the perfect texture to serve with berries.  Perfect!!

0 likes

I just made this. It turned out like biscuit bread. Taste good but was not like cake. I used all purpose flour but not sure what made it bisquity. I will still serve as strawberry shortcake and will enjoy just the same.

BusyBee,  shortcake IS a biscuit type recipe.  Check out the biscuit recipes here and you'll see they are pretty similar in flour/liquid/leavening proportions.
Usually you want a denser/biscuity foundation for the fruit toppings.  Strawberries are also good over a basic sponge cake if you're looking for something "cake-y-er.  Personally, I find that for caloric density and deliciousity, nothing beats pound cake under my fruit.

0 likes

I just made this. It turned out like biscuit bread. Taste good but was not like cake. I used all purpose flour but not sure what made it bisquity. I will still serve as strawberry shortcake and will enjoy just the same.

0 likes