Super Garlicky Potato Fritters!

What you need: 

3 medium white potatoes, chopped
2 small to medium cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons vegan margarine
1/3-1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
sea salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Put potatoes into a pot with water, then boil them on high heat until they are soft enough to mash.
2. Once those potatoes are done, strain out the water. Put them into a bowl adding the garlic, vegan margarine, milk, salt, and pepper. Mash it up until you have the consistency of mashed potatoes.
3. Grease and heat a pan to medium heat. Once warm enough, get a heaping tablespoonful of the potato mixture and form it into a patty with your hands. Toss it on the skillet and fry.
4. Wait a few minutes to flip them over, because if they aren't crispy yet they'll stick to the spatula and break. Each side should take about 5 minutes.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
3-4

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Microwaving things is actually the best way to preserve vitamins, in veggies at least. Microwaves selectively rotate the water in the food, which heats up its surroudings. All vitamins stay just as good as ever. Steaming and boiling are much less nutritious, because the water dissolves the vitamins and then they're in that water you throw away at the end.

0 likes

Potatoes and garlic, my favourites! You can conserve some of the vitamins by boiling the potatoes in their skins, though it takes a little longer, or zapping them in the microwave. Pierce an unpeeled potato a couple of times with a knife blade, then microwave until tender (about 7 min for a medium potato.) Allow to stand until cool enough to handle, peel and proceed with the recipe.
A touch of dried chives doesn't hurt anything, either! ;)

i'm not too sure, but microwaving things, doesnt that 'zap' the vitamins out anyway??

in any case, i cant wait to try this recipe. sounds great!

0 likes

This recipe is awesome!  It passed my 3 crucial tests!
1. Is it delicious without salt?  YES!  I grew up as a salt addict and due to health reasons I've had to almost completely cut salt out of my diet.  I made them both as the recipe stated and without the vegan butter and they were delicious!

2. Can I tweak them and make them with whatever I have on hand in the kitchen?  Heck ya!  I work and go to school full time so I rarely have time to groc shop.  The morning after I made them I wanted to make them again but was without soymilk and garlic cloves so I used a little bit of olive oil, powdered garlic, an egg substitute and breaded them with stale bread from my pantry.  YUM!  It was like potato chicken fried steak.

3. Do the cats like it?  Oh boy did they ever!  I had one left on my plate when I went to get some coffee and when I came back.. well.. I had a little mess to clean up.  :)  Any recipe that is appealing to more than one species must be a darn good recipe!

Yup, these were delicious!  Thank you.  :D

0 likes

I usually do leave the skins on.
You can use flour if they don't stay together well, both ways have worked well for me.

0 likes

my dad makes something like this using leftover boiled potatoes. he adds an egg to the mixture (i call it the uncalled ingredient) and that's the reason i haven't had them for years. there is no way i can assure him they won't fall apart whout it.
what i wanted to say is that he breads it in flour or breadcrumbs to get the outside very crispy.

0 likes

Potatoes and garlic, my favourites! You can conserve some of the vitamins by boiling the potatoes in their skins, though it takes a little longer, or zapping them in the microwave. Pierce an unpeeled potato a couple of times with a knife blade, then microwave until tender (about 7 min for a medium potato.) Allow to stand until cool enough to handle, peel and proceed with the recipe.
A touch of dried chives doesn't hurt anything, either! ;)

0 likes