Baked Toaster-like Pastries

What you need: 

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup water
fruit jam or preserves, as needed

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside. In a bowl, combine the flours (you can use whatever flour you want).
2. Add the margarine and cut into flour with pastry cutter or fork, adding water as needed; I didn't need the full 1/4 cup. Divide dough into 4 equal sized balls, and on a floured surface, roll each out one at a time into a rectangle shape.
3. On 1/2 the rectangle, spread about 1 tablespoon (or more if you like) of jam, leaving an edge of dough visible. Fold dough over to cover the jam and use a fork to connect the edges. You might need a little water to get them to hold together, if you use a lot of flour to roll it out.
4. When all 4 are done, put them on the cookie sheet and bake for 12-18 minutes. Take them off the cookie sheet and let rest on a cooling rack.

Preparation Time: 
about 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made these today using 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 all purpose flour and ice in my water like I usually do when making pastry.  The flavor is great but the texture was very tender to the point wanting to fall apart.  I know I have a light touch when it comes to working with pastry so that may have been my issue in developing enough gluten to hold it together.  Next time I will try it with all all purpose flour or whole wheat bread flour to help keep them together.

0 likes

Holy crap, much better than I would have thought!

I just used regular flour instead half and half with pastry flour.

Only thing I put on top was some powdered sugar.

I didn't have any fruit preserves, but I had a vegan chocolate spread that I used instead. YUMMY!

0 likes

These are so much better than what I remember of pop-tarts! I really loved making it with the whole wheat pastry flour. 
I really filled mine so that they were very squishy and all the jam came out when we ate them. My roommates loved them.
I have one left over, so I'll let you know how storage in the fridge goes...

0 likes

Love this idea! I made it by the recipe first. Turned out good, but cutting butter into flour is more time/energy than I want to spend. So next time, I made it with puff pastry premade dough. So quick and pretty! I experimented with jams and really liked a mixture of jam and almond butter. Oddly, my 2 year old didn't like it. How could he not?

0 likes

Just made (and ate) these. I used half whole wheat flower and half pastry flower, they kind of have an eggy taste to them. Anyone else have that?

Also - how many holes should I poke in the top?

My biggest confusion is the frosting. I made the powdered sugar recipe on the first page, but I couldn't get it thick (kept adding sugar, but it was still super runny). Then after 10 mins of baking I spooned it on the tops of the pastries...this i where it all went wrong. It all ran off and stuck to the baking sheet and I think they were so soaked that they wouldn't crisp. I baked for 18 minutes on 350...should I have left them in longer?

HELP! I really want these to come out well!

Thanks.

0 likes

How did you guys make the frosting (as seen in some of the pictures)?? I'm thinking powdered sugar and water with food coloring (or fruit juice).

Also if all I have in the house is whole wheat flower and white all purpose flower - would either or both of those work? Or is some kind of pastry flower required for the right texture?

0 likes

LOVE THIS! I added cinnamon and a bit of agave to the mix before baking. And for the filling, I used blueberry conserves. It was super delicious!  ;)b

0 likes

i had them out of the oven for less than 5 mins and everyone in my house was eating them and burning themselves, but not caring. lol. i think i got to eat half of one...lol, my boyfriend decided he wanted more than his share.

0 likes

i actually have some in the oven, but i put fake meatballs, marinara, and nutritional yeast in the middle. smells like heaven.

0 likes

Da bomb! I usually add cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and sugar to the dough to enhance flavor even more. Also, I sometimes use the whole wheat pastry recipe from the Bob's Red Mill bag, and get great results. What you use for the "fat" determines the texture of these. Palm shortening makes them more like pie dough, and applesauce makes them softer and chewier.

0 likes

Pages