1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
5 ounces kalamata olives, pitted and diced
1 (10 ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 (7 ounce, or more) container garlic hummus or equivalent homemade hummus
1 cup textured soy protein hydrated + 1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 to 1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease large casserole dish. Cook pasta according to package directions. In large bowl, mix together all ingredients except pasta and soy milk.
2. Stir in cooked pasta and add milk until pasta is coated and mixture is moist. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Pour into casserole dish. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until the top of the casserole starts to get crispy.
Serve and enjoy! I really like to use my own ultra-garlicy hummus when I make this, but pretty much any hummus will work. Feel free to add whatever other vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, etc.) that you like or have on hand.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Very yummy! My boyfriend and I loved it and can't wait to make it again! Thanks so much!

0 likes

Such a tasty treat! I did a few things differently. First I used soyrizo in place of the Textured Soy Protien. (if you've never tried soyrizo in pasta sauce, you should. I do it all the time, and love it!) I had no olives, but I added broccoli and carrots. And I sauteed my fresh spinach with about 1/2 of a diced yellow onion. I sprinkled some vegan parmesean ( http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7620.0 ) on top too! It turned out REALLY REALLY good. I will def be making this again! Thanks.

0 likes

This was absolutely fantastic! My husband and I both loved it. I followed it exactly but I didn't use olives. Thank you!

0 likes

I added some extra celeries in it. It was yummy. :P

0 likes
0 likes

I made this a couple of nights ago and while it was quite tasty it was quite dry.......but I have just reread the recipe and realised that I missed out the soy milk and tomato sauce! Ooops.  Will try again and this time actually follow the recipe!!

By the way cananyone help me - in the US is your 'can of tomato sauce' pretty much the same as my tomato pureé in the UK? Cheers.

0 likes

I thought I was the only one who used hummus as a sauce base. :P A shortcut, (ie. Buffet-salad-bar-at-a-College-Cafeteria) lazy version of this is to toss pasta with half hummus, half salsa... it kinda looks like barf, but it's delicious. :P

0 likes

I think next time I won't take pix with camera phone- hard to get the right dimensions!  :(

0 likes

I love making this! I usually leave out the tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach and tvp and maybe add a tablespoon of olive oil or EB. This time I made it with whole wheat rotinis and a homemade  green veggie-garlic-pesto hummus (with broccoli, basil and spinach) and added a little vegetable juice to thin out. I also added a little nutritional yeast and wheat germ. I also added sliced olives!  A great alternative to traditional red sauces and a nice way to sneak in beans, veggies, etc!  ;)

0 likes

Very easy, very tasty! Added bonus: a wonderful vehicle for Tabasco! (The chipotle flavor is my favorite so far...)

0 likes

Pages