1/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
2 teaspoons salt
5-6 cups flour, as needed

What you do: 

If you have a bread machine... combine everything in the correct order and make the dough. Otherwise,
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit 10 minutes. Add sugar, oil, and milk to yeast mixture. Mix well. Add salt and gradually add the flour until the dough is thick enough to knead, but not too stiff.
2. Knead for 8-10 minutes, until dough reaches and elastic consistency. Let rise 15 minutes. Separate dough into 12 balls. (If you want smaller buns, make about 20). Knead/form each ball well, and place on a baking sheet about 1 1/2" apart.
3. Cover with a damp dish cloth and place in a warm spot. (An oven that was heated but has cooled quite a bit works well). Let rise 20-30 minutes, or until the edges of the buns are about 1/4'' apart. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until brown on the top. Best served warm; store in a plastic bag to keep in the moisture if keeping overnight.

Preparation Time: 
1 1/2 hours, Cooking time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
15 - 20 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made the dough with the bread machine that normally makes a loaf with 3 cups of flour.  5 cups worked fine because I removed the dough when it filled the pan in 15-20 minutes.  

Made some square buns which were a little flatter than a round bun.  I intend to use them for fried tofu sandwiches so a slice from half a block of tofu fits perfectly.

Also used an egg wash (one egg + 1 T water) to hold a medley of seeds on top of buns. Very few fell off when they were done and those we used on our salad!

They were soft and delicious as everyone has previously said.  I froze the majority of them right away.  I will pop them into the toaster oven to thaw and crisp up a little, then split them horizontally to toast for some sandwiches. 

0 likes

Is everyone using a bread machine to knead the dough? Am I the only one worried about having to knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes? That does not sound easy  - it sounds exausting. I do not have a bread machine or a Kitchen Aid mixer. I have a Cuisinart food processor. Will that work?

0 likes

I do the recipe exactly as written except add almond milk instead of soy.Still turns out great.Probably one of the best breads I've ever had.Thank you!

0 likes

These will be my new go to buns! It's pretty hard where I live to find vegan bread products that don't cost an fortune! These were simple and they turned out awesome. Next time I might try them with whole wheat flour or spelt and i might spread some Earth Balance on them for a little something extra. SWEET recipe. Thanks a ton!

0 likes

These turned out excellent. I did a half batch and used almond milk. It was easy enough my husband has offered to make the recipe while I am at school on Burger nights. They held up great to a good heaping pile of grilled onions and creminis.

0 likes

Mmmm... really good with 100% whole wheat flour. I brushed the tops with salted veg shortening before and after baking. Perfection, even non vegans loved them :)

0 likes

This recipe is AMAZING!!!  Even non vegans will love this recipe.  I use honey instead of sugar, but otherwise follow the recipe.  This is comparable to those expensive whole wheat honey buns you buy in four packs for $4.  They are soooo moist and yummy.  I use them for my tofu patties, fake chicken patties, or eat them as rolls when I am making soup.

0 likes

Yummy and very easy to make. I loved these so much that I just might not to go back to store bought.  ;)b

0 likes

OMG these are AWESOME! I expected them to be only passable. Like. I've tried to make sandwich bread and stuff from scratch and it DOES NOT WORK OUT. But, wow! I made these in lieu of vegan buns so I could have a "burger party", and instead of being crusty like normal homemade bread they were so soft and delicious. It was obvious they weren't undercooked; they were just naturally soft!

And they tasted so great on their own. The smaller buns (since I'm a retard and couldn't shape them all to be the same size) were really yummy without any filling, and would go excellently as dinner rolls. These were truly incredible, and totally going to be a repeat recipe for me on burger night.

I'm going to use the leftover ones with some boca chicken patties tomorrow. Yum. :D

Also, I didn't have soymilk, so I used half almond milk, half water (my almond milk is VERY sweet and I didn't want my buns to taste like a dessert). And the 3 tbsp of yeast worked fine for me. Certainly not too much, these rose just the right amount.

0 likes

:)>>>  WOW...can we say A-W-E-S-O-M-E?!? I used equal parts unbleached flour and whole wheat flour and added 1 tablespoon dill weed to the wet mix before adding flour. YUMMY--I won't buy bread anymore. Thanks!

0 likes

Pages