You are here

Member since September 2006

Soft Lemon Cookies

What you need: 

Cookies:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance whipped)
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I use Tofutti)
1/2 cup silken tofu (plain or vanilla soy yogurt will work too)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice

What you do: 

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with nonstick foil. Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Beat in the sour cream, silken tofu, lemon zest, and lemon juice or extract. Mix well.
2. Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing.
3. For glaze, mix the powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to reach your desired taste and consistency. Frost the cooled cookies with the glaze. It may seem drippy at first, but it will firm up in a few minutes.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These are wonderful cookies. Followed the recipe exactly, but made my cookies slightly larger. Ended up with 2 dozen. Very soft and delicious. Taking them to Superbowl Sunday to share.

0 likes

I loved the texture of the cookie, they were definitely soft as stated, but totally needed more lemon flavor.  I would double the amount of lemon extract next time.

0 likes

Just had to mention... I brought them to a party last night and everyone cheered when they saw me with the "best lemon cookies ever," not that I make them for EVERY get together or anything  ;)

0 likes

I found that they could ve used a lil more lemon juice(lemon freak here). The texture I love came out wonderful. So next time will squeeze more lemon. ;)b

0 likes

D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S  :)

0 likes

These cookies are lovely!  So soft and just the perfect amount of sweet to tangy!  I made slightly larger cookies and baked them about 15 minutes.  After reading the comments, I rounded them out and flattened them out before baking them.  I also added 2 TBS of poppy seeds into the dough. I will be making these again, thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!

0 likes

These are amazing! Made them for work, no one said anything about them being vegan. Soft, delicious and so quick!

0 likes

We really enjoyed these cookies.  I used vanilla soy yogurt (instead of the silken tofu) because I had some open in the fridge.  The only advice I have about the recipe is that the cookies did not flatten for me, so I sort of shaped them a little before baking.  They do puff up a little and look very nice.

Thanks for the great recipe!

0 likes