You are here

Member since August 2006

Cheesy Chipotle Potatoes

What you need: 

6-ish potatoes (any kind will do, I prefer Yukon Gold for this)
2 chipotle peppers from the can, with sauce (adjust the heat to your liking)
1/3 a package of vegan cream cheese
2 tablespoons of vegan margarine
1 large green onion

What you do: 

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit degrees.
Now, you need to cook the potatoes! Chop into 1/2 inch cubes and bring them to a boil. Cook for about twenty or so minutes.
In a food processor or blender: place peppers, and half of the potatoes in and blend. Add margarine and cream cheese. Blend again, then place the rest of the potatoes in the processor/blender.
At this point, if I feel like the potatoes are not mixing to my liking, I will place some water (use judgment) in the mix then continue.
Scoop out potatoes in an oven safe dish. Place some extra vegan margarine (if you want) over the top. Chop the green onion and sprinkle over the potatoes for garnish. Place in oven until the onions are cooked a little.
I usually eat this with some avocado slices and salad.
Hope you enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

THIS WAS AMAZING!  I didn't have any vegan cream cheese so I just used some Daiya (which made it really gooey in the best way) and thinned with soy milk.  I also added more green onions throughout the casserole. The spice was perfect for me; I can't believe someone used 6 peppers- that would have been inedible!

YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS.

0 likes

These were really good, even better the next day!
I was out of cream cheese, so I used shredded FYH monterey jack instead.  And I blended half of the potatoes and left the other half chunky.
Anything with chipotle peppers and green onions wins me over.....

0 likes

Quote:
I would love to try this but can't find chipotle peppers in my area.

Look in your area grocery store's foreign foods section, by the taco fixins. I get the canned La Preferia kind. Here's a store finder...

http://www.lapreferida.com/Products.htm

Thanks for the tip but I'm in Sweden and it doesn't look like they sell internationally.  Trust me, I've looked in the "mexican" section in the store here and all they have is salsa and flour tortillas.  They don't even have corn tortillas!  :o  On a happier note, I have found out there is a mexican foods import shop in the city that I'm planning on going to when I get the chance.  So hopefully I can make these tasty potatoes in the near future!  ;D As a native Californian, I've missed the goodness of chipotle peppers.  :)>>>

0 likes

Quote:
I would love to try this but can't find chipotle peppers in my area.

Look in your area grocery store's foreign foods section, by the taco fixins. I get the canned La Preferia kind. Here's a store finder...

http://www.lapreferida.com/Products.htm

0 likes

hah, well, first of all I gave this one a five, even though I thoroughly screwed it up. I used two sweet potatos, two white potatos, and a red potato. I used 2/3 red onion, chopped. it was going fine until I started blending it, broke a chunk of my wooden spoon off with the blender blade, and overblended it, essentially creating a sweet potato chipotle soup...which was amazing. the best potato soup- the cream cheese made it nice and creamy and the peppers gave it a great kick. will totally add it to my recipe book but I think I'll keep it as a smoky sweet potato soup- minus the chunk of wood I pulled out of it in my first bowl, lol.

0 likes

How long does this take & how many servings?
What vegan cream cheese & vegan margarine did you use?

Hi!  I'm not the one that posted this recipe, but I can maybe help you with your last two questions.  For vegan cream cheese, I always use the Tofutti brand called "Better than cream cheese" and for vegan margarine, "Earth Balance" is the best out there that I've tried so far!  It melts great, has the flavor of butter, and looks like butter!  Hope this helps!

0 likes

I would love to try this but can't find chipotle peppers in my area. :'(  Anybody have any suggestions on a good substitution?

0 likes

How long does this take & how many servings?
What vegan cream cheese & vegan margarine did you use?

0 likes

Awesome way to spice up some mashed potatoes!  I stuck with just 2 peppers and it was just the right amount of heat for me.  Very good!

0 likes

Great, easy recipe.  I added 6 peppers instead of two, but we like it spicy.  Thanks!

0 likes