2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 each 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes and can tomato sauce
oregano, basil, marjoram, salt and pepper to taste

What you do: 

Make red sauce:[br] Saute onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil. Add in garlic and saute a little longer. Add tomato sauce. Drain diced tomatoes into empty sauce can and add tomatoes to vegetables. Add seasonings, use leftover juice to thin sauce as needed. Add some red wine if desired.
Make ravioli dough:[br] Combine flour and salt in bowl, add egg replacer and mix in. Add water to make a thick dough. Knead and let rest 15 minutes to develop. Meanwhile, mix together tofu, "cheeses" and parsley for filling. Put a large pot of water on to boil.
Roll out dough thinly and cut into squares or circles. Put a dollop of filling on each, wet edges and seal tightly. Place on cookie sheet until you have about one dozen. Boil this batch, takes about 5 minutes, they're done when they float to the top. Remove with slotted spoon to serving bowl. Repeat.
Place five or six ravioli on plates and cover with sauce, sprinkle with additional parmesan if desired.

Preparation Time: 
2 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was a really good recipe.  I even blogged about it on my page!  I also uploaded several pictures today!  Thanks for posting this.

0 likes

I don't know about flax seed, it's not something I can buy here so I've never tried anything at all with it. Probably it'd be fine, I'm not sure what the purpose of egg in homemade pasta is, it's in every recipe that I've seen so I used egg replacer when I made this. But if you look at the ingredient list on a commercial bag of pasta, it almost never contains egg, just water and semolina flour. I would bet that you could get away with just about anything at all that's squishy and doesn't have a strong flavor.

0 likes

just wondering, do you think using ground flaxseeds as an egg replacer would work in this meal? I have used ground flax seeds before in biscuits and pastry doughs, but am just not sure if they would work with a pasta. any insight is useful! just that flaxseeds are cheaper to buy that egg replacer ;) i can't wait to try these :D

0 likes

Most non-vegan specific pasta dough recipes I've seen have been accidentally vegan. The filling is generally more of the issue with ravioli. This looks yummy, I'll definitely try it.

0 likes

I have to admit that I never even thought about making vegan ravioli-- vegan pasta dough seemed too ambitious, I guess.  These look scrumptious, and I love it that you've pioneered an eggless dough!

Thanks, just fooling around in the kitchen. I think next time I'm going to try making a pasta dough using soft tofu instead of egg replacer. I can't buy the soft here and only one brand of firm so I kinda have to ration it since it's a 2 1/2 hour drive to buy it. I think that if you don't want to fool around with making dough, you could probably use wonton wrappers instead. I haven't bought any in the longest time though and have no idea if they are vegan or not. I do remember that wonton wrappers have a tendency to break open during boiling when using them like this.

0 likes

I have to admit that I never even thought about making vegan ravioli-- vegan pasta dough seemed too ambitious, I guess.  These look scrumptious, and I love it that you've pioneered an eggless dough!

0 likes