You are here

Member since June 2006

Creamy Zucchini Soup

What you need: 

2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
750g (1 1/2 lb) zucchini, chopped (aka courgette)
250g (1/2 lb) potatoes, peeled & chopped
3 cups water
1 stock cube (vegetarian)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups soy milk
3/4 cups cashews
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of thyme & oregano
2 cloves garlic OR 1 teaspoon powdered garlic

What you do: 

Saute the onion and fresh garlic in the oil (if using powdered garlic, it can be added at the end). When slightly brown, add the zucchini and potato and water, and simmer until the potatoes are soft. Add the stock cube and salt and remove from heat.
Combine the cashews and soymilk in a blender and process until smooth. Add this to the cooked veggies with the remaining seasonings, mix together well, and then blend the soup in the blender until very smooth.
(This makes a reasonable quantity so you'll probably need to blend it in two batches. However, if you prefer chunky soup, you can omit this).
Return it to the pot and simmer for another minute or so before serving. Enjoy with crusty bread of your choice!

Preparation Time: 
20-25 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I've actually made this soup before completely omitting the soymilk and it was still very thick and creamy. I'm going to give the soymilk a try now that you mentioned it though, to add some protein. Good idea, thanks!

0 likes

This was great! The only change I made was more garlic and I did half yellow squash half zucchini. I did blend the whole thing at the end b/c I love creamy soups. I will make this again.It was very easy too. :)

0 likes