Perfect Falafel

What you need: 

2 1/2 cups garbanzo beans, soaked
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup parsley leaves
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons egg replacer (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0)
2 tablespoons whole meal flour
canola oil, as needed for frying

What you do: 

1. Put the garbanzos in a blender and mince until you have a fine crumbly texture.Take out the beans and put the onion and parsley into the food processor. Blend until finely minced (but not puree).
2. Slightly roast the coriander and cumin seeds over a low heat in frying pan (just until they start to smell and brown ever so slightly), then grind them.
3. In a big bowl, place the garbanzos and mix in the spices, the onion with the parsley, and then the egg replacer and flour. Let sit for a while to let flavors blend. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F if keeping patties warm.
4. Make small patties and fry in medium-hot canola oil until brown on both sides (turning over a couple of times). Place on paper towels to let them drain.
5. Put them in oven so that they may finish cooking on the inside (just in case).
These little wonders will never break apart during frying because they have the egg replacer and the flour inside which binds everything together nicely. Also, the inclusion of any oil in any falafel mixture will make the water content and the oil to separate the ingredients and cause trouble, so no worries this time!

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Made this last night and it turned out pretty well. I used canned beans instead of dried ones, and for some reason I think that made it harder to blend (or my blender just sucks). I also halved the salt like others suggested, and they were still kinda salty for my taste. Overall though, these falafel a were good and I will definitely make them again with just some minor adjustments. Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

I liked this one a lot, really simple. Only thing I changed was baking in full instead of frying and I halfed the salt. Still a bit too salty for my tastes though so next time I'll add less. Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

I made these last week and pretty much followed the recipe exactly. The only changes I made were using ground cumin & coriander and baking the balls  instead of frying. I was impressed at how easily the dough came together. My hubby and I ate these in wraps with veggies and hummus. A delicious and quick dinner on nights when we didn't feel like cooking. They were also tasty as a topping for salad.

Next time, I would add some jalapenos or serranos to the dough to spice them up a bit. Also, we baked them for 10 minutes on one side and 15 minutes on the other (350 degrees). 15 minutes on each side would result in a more crispy patty.

Thanks so much for the recipe and for everyone's comments!

1 like

i made these last night and i agree, this is a great recipe. i was abit confused about whether to measure beans before or after soaking, so i measured after and the flavor balance seemed perfect. i also just used 2 Tb ground flax for the egg replacer... they stuck together perfect! i fed them to my non-veg mom and niece and they got gobbled. this recipe is definitely gettting printed and put in my recipe book!

1 like

wow, these are good!  I used canned chickpeas, and a real egg (sorry, it was all I had) and put them in the deep fryer.  They are surprisingly like bread, but not like bread too.  Very good.  Lets see if it passes the test with my 2 year old son. 

0 likes

Scrumptious.  I misunderstood the egg replacer (used the replacer equivilent of 3 eggs) so it was a little soggy but still SO tasty.  I had them over a salad with goddess dressing.  I will make them this week for sure! 

0 likes

I consider myself somewhat of a Greek (Mediterraean, Middle East) food snob as I was spoiled by Hanny's Nazareth Deli in Columbus, OH (Check it out if you're ever in the area). I've made other versions of falafel with varying results, but...THESE ROCKED! Don't let the sparcity of ingredients disuade you, they truly are perfect. Instead of egg replacer I used a little olive oil, and I had to use a bit more flour than instruceted, but they did hold together perfectly and tasted amazing (I used 1t of sea salt and a little extra cumin - fresh roasted and ground).  I ended up with less than 20, but I made them about 2.5" round.  I ate three while cooking as I just couldn't stop.  Well done! ;)b

1 like

really good. reduced the salt by half and it worked fine. these freeze really well. I compared cooking the chickpeas versus soaking then pureeing and the soaked ones came out firmer.
if you freeze do not thaw, just toss into hot oil to fry. letting them thaw makes the inside mushy because of the melting ice inside :(
didn't need to bake after frying, but these do bake well @ 350 for 20 minutes or so.
thanks for the recipe!

1 like

Only one problem: these don't last long at all! Really good... Thanks!!!

:)>>>

0 likes

I don't know if it's just me personally or what, but I thought they were way[ too salty. I enjoyed them, but I'm definitely putting in less alt next time.

I ate it with a large bed of steamed kale. :)

0 likes

Pages