You are here

Member since August 2006

Nutty Pumpkin Soup

What you need: 

1 can pumpkin (non-pie kind, plain puree)
3 cups veggie broth
1 cup water
1 med white onion
1 can chopped tomatoes drained well
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
2 garlic cloves
dash of cinnamon
dash of red pepper
dash of curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of plain soy milk

What you do: 

Sautee onion and garlic in a bit of the veggie broth until they are softened over medium heat. Add pumpkin, broth, water, peanut butter, maple syrup and whisk until blended. Add drained tomatoes and all spices. Simmer over medium heat for ½ hour.
Using a hand held blender wand or food processor or blender, blend soup until it is smooth. The soup will become creamy with no lumps like a bisque. Add more seasonings to taste and soymilk at the end for creaminess.
I love this soup in the fall on cold nights!
Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Solid 3.5 to 4 out of 5 personal rating for me.  I  On lunalavalamp's suggestion I left out the maple syrup for now and have kept it as a savory dish and didn't bother blending it.  This recipe is natural and healthy and has a pleasantly different flavor from the majority of soups I make. I plan to make this again  Thank you sarahsmile for sharing this recipe.

0 likes

what size can of tomatoes?

0 likes

my new favorite soup

0 likes

Oh my gosh- I love this!  I added some ginger, some frozen corn and some carrots and some tofu chunks.  Fantastic!

0 likes

I was a little hesitant to try this recipe because it seemed to almost have an identity disorder (paring pumpkin with peanut butter- crazy!).  But since I have yet to find something that truly doesn't go well with peanut butter, I ventured forth to try it out. 

The flavor combinations go pretty well together, and it makes a nice creamy consistency.  Even so, I think next time, I might try to make it either just sweet (maybe with a soymilk base instead of broth and more cinnamon and syrup) or spicy (omitting the syrup altogether and adding more cumin/red pepper).

Over all, I was most satisfied by the unusual combination- thanks for warming up my cold cold Maine evening with this soup =D

0 likes