3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground flax seed, optional
2 tablespoons wheat germ, optional
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
2-4 tablespoons nondairy milk (I use soymilk) Pumpkin filling:
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup plain nondairy milk (I use soymilk)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup beet sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt

What you do: 

1. For crust, mix together white flour, whole wheat flour, flax seed, wheat germ, and salt. Mix in oil until completely blended. Add nondairy mik until mixture holds together; add up to another 2 tablespoons milk.
2. Preheat oven 450 degrees F. Roll out and place in a pie pan; trim off edges and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. For filling, add lemon juice and non-dairy milk to a measuring cup, and allow to curdle. In a bowl, mix flour and oil thoroughly.
3. Combine and mix together milk mixture, flour mixture, pumpkin, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, molasses, and salt. Pour filling into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Turn down heat to 350 degrees, and bake 40-50 minutes. Cool and serve.

Preparation Time: 
2 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This recipe turned out great!! I followed the recipe exactly, only adding some cornstarch as previous posters had suggested, and it was perfect. I doubled it to make two pies and they were a hit with the family. It probably didn't even need the cornstarch because we could pick up each slice and it stayed intact- the perfect plateless piece of pumpkin pie Smile

0 likes

well, mine is in the oven right now... i didn't have any corn starch or arrowroot powder, so i hope it doesn't come out too loose. i also plan on making some vegan pumpkin whipped cream to top this with.

here's a link to that recipe...

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2012/09/23/vegan-pumpkin-whipped-cream-recipe/

0 likes

Forgot to add, I also use a store bought chocolate crust- yum!

0 likes

This has become a family favorite!  I make it now with one important add in- 1 cup of melted chocolate chips!  :)>>> This chocolate pumpkin pie is amazing and my kids and hubby all request this for their birthdays!

0 likes

I made it again this year. 

I decided to use MimicCreme instead of milk to make it more dense.  It didn't quite work because I'm not sure if the creme curdled when I added apple cider vinegar (it was easier than lemon).  I kept adding more and didn't see a separation.  I added so much acv that it smelled and tasted like acv, so I started over.  I curdled 1/2 cup of almond milk (which readily curdles) and then filled it to the 1 cup measurement with MimicCreme.  I won't truly know how it turns out until Christmas, but it'll be fine.

Also, I'm not sure if it really needs to curdle or if just the creme and acid being together in the recipe would be enough for the purpose.

0 likes

??? my pie has oily cracks on top, does not look appetizing at all. I don't know what I did wrong. I ended up putting a peice of foil over the pie when I saw that the crust was getting very brown 15 minutes but I don't think that's what did it. Any suggestions?

Ok so it looks weird but still tastes good :)

0 likes

This recipe worked beautifully to me! I now like pumpkin pie more than I did during my pre-vegan days. ;)

0 likes

Delicious! It was gone so fast that I couldn't get a picture. Everyone loved it. I used cornstarch instead of flour, and agave instead of molasses. Thanks for a pumpkin pie without tofu, they are infinitely better!

0 likes

??? my pie has oily cracks on top, does not look appetizing at all. I don't know what I did wrong. I ended up putting a peice of foil over the pie when I saw that the crust was getting very brown 15 minutes but I don't think that's what did it. Any suggestions?

0 likes

This turned out great! I'll be making this again forsure! :)>>>

0 likes

Pages