You are here

Member since August 2006

Great Thai Green Curry

What you need: 

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1-2 teaspoons green curry paste
2-3 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
2-3 thin slices of galangal
4 kefir lime leaves (although I often just use lime leaves from our standard lime in the
garden)
1-2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (I use broccoli, bok choy, red capsicum, carrot and
bamboo shoots)
300g fried tofu, cubed in whatever size you prefer**
1 400 mL can of coconut milk
1 and 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 lime, quartered
chopped coriander leaves to garnish
chopped chili pepper to garnish (optional, if you want more heat, personally I prefer my
green curry mild)

What you do: 

This is an easy, colourful and delicious Thai dish. I finally learned how to cook a good green curry in Thailand and it's since become a weekly fixture in our house.
Heat oil in wok or large saucepan to medium-high and add curry paste, galangal (I often have difficulty finding this, but lately I've been buying it frozen from the supermarket), lime leaves and lemongrass. Stir-fry vigorously until fragrant (1 minute should be plenty).
Gradually add half the can of coconut milk, stir and bring to the boil.
3)Add soy sauce and sugar, stir.
4) Add the rest of the coconut milk gradually, stirring as you go and bring to the boil again.
Add vegetables, bring to the boil and cook for two minutes.
Add tofu and cook for another five minutes. **(I buy mine pre-fried in a package at my local Asian supermarket, it's the best tofu for green curry because it has a cooked skin on the outside and is soft in the middle. Nice.)
Turn off the heat and remove lemongrass stalks, galangal and lime leaves.
Serve curry into four bowls, squeeze a quarter of lime into each and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and chili (if that's your thing).
Serve with rice or noodles of your choice.
Feel to free to change ingredient quantities or cook longer to suit your tastes; a good green curry is rather an individual experience. I like it mild and fairly thin, with plenty of broth to cover my brown rice.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Oh, and every red curry I've found has shrimp in it.  If some knows of one that doesn't, let me know as it would be nice to switch up this recipe every now and then.  Thanks!

Try Maesri curry paste.  It is an all-natural vegan curry paste.  It is the only brand I use for all my curries:  red, yellow, panang, green, masaman, etc.  It is DELICIOUS!  I recently found that my favorite Thai restaurant uses it as well.  I have never found it in stores, but it is available online.  I highly recommend ordering multiple cans...i went through two in a week...so addicting!

0 likes

This is a very tasty dish! I used cauliflower, green capsicum, onion, zucchini, & carrot.  I used regular lime leaves and sliced ginger root instead of the galangal.  At the end I added in the lime and chopped chili - both me and my husband really enjoyed this dish.  I used more veges and didn't bother with the tofu.  Thanks for a great meal!

0 likes

This was really good, I love Thai food and it was pretty authentic!  I get the exotic ingredients at the local asian market...then I just store them in the freezer until I use them again, since I'd never go through the galangal and kefir lime leaves soon enough otherwise.  No quality issues yet.

0 likes

galangal can be substituted for regular ginger if necessary, but it's really worth the extra effort to locate it.

0 likes

Oh, and every red curry I've found has shrimp in it.  If some knows of one that doesn't, let me know as it would be nice to switch up this recipe every now and then.  Thanks!

Hi amyb1975,  Thai Kitchen brand red curry paste doesn't have shrimp in it.  In fact, the bottle even says "gluten-free and vegan" on it.  It seems like a really common brand where I am; I bought it at a major chain grocery store.

What is galangal?

I had to look this one up, too, initially, but galangal is Thai ginger.

0 likes

What is galangal?

0 likes

This was excellent despite the fact I couldn't find the Galangal or Lime Leaves.  I just ordered these items from Amazon.com today and look forward to trying this recipe again soon.  I used light coconut milk too.  Oh, and every red curry I've found has shrimp in it.  If some knows of one that doesn't, let me know as it would be nice to switch up this recipe every now and then.  Thanks!

0 likes

this recipe is so so incredibly yummy. i followed the recipe exactly, but used red curry paste and seitan... tastes so authentic!

0 likes