You are here

Member since November 2005

Cheeze Ball

What you need: 

1 package (8 ounces) vegan cream cheese, softened (I use Tofutti)
1 (10 ounce) block vegan cheddar cheese, softened and shredded (I use cheddar Rella)
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1-2 tablespoons steak sauce or vegan Worcestershire sauce
few dashes liquid smoke
chopped nuts, to coat (almonds or walnuts are both good)

What you do: 

1. Mix vegan cream cheese, cheese, and margarine. Add the steak sauce or vegan Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
2. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
3. Shape into a ball, then roll ball in chopped nuts.
Eat on top of crackers. This is a wonderful appetizer that my grandmother makes every Christmas (of course, her version is not vegan). I didn't even think about trying to make a vegan version until last night when I was looking around the apartment for something to spread on top of the crackers that I had bought.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

When I've had this type of cheeze ball in the past, the cheddar isn't creamy; it just adds little bits of cheddar all throughout the creamy cheeze mixture.  The cheeze ball then has a bit of texure from the shredded bits of cheddar.  So, if you want the cheddar cheeze to be completely smoothed into the cream cheeze, then you need to take another approach.  As you suggested, I'd probably melt the cheddar before adding to the cream cheeze mixture if I was going for a completely smooth cheeze ball.

0 likes

How about trying....Daiya....brand cheese.....they have shredded cheddar and mozzarella...

I love this cheese; it has a taste that is beyond compare.

It is already shredded and is perfect for recipes like this cheeseball.

Between Tofutti brand cream cheese and Daiya you have a winning combination. 

0 likes

This definitely wasn't for me, neither the texture or the flavor worked out and I followed the recipe. Maybe if I used a homemade vegan cheese rather than the store bought crap it would have been different.

0 likes

Delicious! This will definitely become a pot-luck staple, for me... I forgot to pick up a block of vegan cheez, so made cashew cheez to use instead (hodgepodge recipe of raw cashews, pimientos, seasoned salt, nut. yeast, garlic, dollop of mustard, & water). Then I just added the other ingredients into the food processor with it... MMMMMM! Since I used cashew cheez it came out too soft to make a good 'ball,' but it was perfect for Halloween 'Zombie-Brain Dip' in a carved-squash bowl... I mixed in about 1/2 cup of silvered almonds, then pressed more on top as 'skull fragments'... looked great/ tasted awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

I didn't have liquid smoke so, I added a bit of prepared horseradish to the cheese ball as well.  It was great!

0 likes

I will be making this again for a potluck tomorrow.  This recipe is excellent!  I throw everything into the food processor.  I make sure the cheese isn't really cold before blending.  Tastes much better if you make it the day before.

0 likes

Anyone know if the vegan block cheese is shredded first, or what? Thanks!  :)

I haven't made this particular recipe, but I've eaten this kind of food many years ago.  Yes, shred the cheddar before adding to the other ingredients.

Don't shred it. I just made this and shredded my cheese before and it is very difficult to get it creamy after that as you end up with little shredded pieces of cheese that won't blend all the way. I would melt it slightly or try it broken up in strips before you use the electric mixer. It might be better to use a high powered blender to get it really smooth. I am sort of bummed I followed the shredding advice.

When I've had this type of cheeze ball in the past, the cheddar isn't creamy; it just adds little bits of cheddar all throughout the creamy cheeze mixture.  The cheeze ball then has a bit of texure from the shredded bits of cheddar.  So, if you want the cheddar cheeze to be completely smoothed into the cream cheeze, then you need to take another approach.  As you suggested, I'd probably melt the cheddar before adding to the cream cheeze mixture if I was going for a completely smooth cheeze ball.

0 likes

Anyone know if the vegan block cheese is shredded first, or what? Thanks!  :)

I haven't made this particular recipe, but I've eaten this kind of food many years ago.  Yes, shred the cheddar before adding to the other ingredients.

Don't shred it. I just made this and shredded my cheese before and it is very difficult to get it creamy after that as you end up with little shredded pieces of cheese that won't blend all the way. I would melt it slightly or try it broken up in strips before you use the electric mixer. It might be better to use a high powered blender to get it really smooth. I am sort of bummed I followed the shredding advice.

0 likes

Yummy!  I made this delightful concoction for a Rock Band Party I had last weekend.  Between 5 of us (and mostly me and one guest), we polished off this cheeze ball, countless chocolates, and a big bowl of guac in a matter of hours.

It was a little difficult to handle, and I got cheeze all over my hands while I shaped the ball, but well worth it.

I plan on making this again when I have the chance to entertain.  Rock Banding takes a lot of energy, ya know.  ;)b

0 likes

I just fed this to my cheese-loving roommate and he's amazed by it! So good! 4 thumbs up!!  :D

0 likes

Pages