You are here

Anonymous
Member since December 1969

Who Needs Feta? Spanakopita

What you need: 

1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound firm tofu, drained (I use silken, but I believe any texture would work)
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 (16 ounce) package vegan fresh or thawed frozen phyllo dough, divided
1/2 cup melted vegan margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)

What you do: 

1. Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until tender and golden. Remove skillet from heat. Place tofu in a mixing bowl and crumble with a fork.
2. Add dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper, onions, and spinach. Stir thoroughly to combine. At this point I usually taste the seasonings and adjust until it is just right.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove 1/2 the phyllo dough from the package and cover the rest with plastic wrap and/or a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Brush the bottom and sides of a 13X9" glass baking dish with the melted margarine.
4. Place 2 phyllo sheets in the dish and press in lightly. Lightly brush with margarine (make sure to get the edges) and top with 2 more sheets and continue repeating until you have used half of the package of phyllo dough.
5. Spread the spinach mixture in dish on top of the phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo dough in the same way as before, tucking or rolling in the excess edges when finished. Bake 45 minutes until golden and filling is hot. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

My name is Mary and I base in USA...“My life is back!!! After 1 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called High Priest Dr BRIGHT which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 7 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped High Priest Dr BRIGHT 's e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 3 days, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. High Priest Dr BRIGHT is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try High Priest Dr BRIGHT anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact:drbrightspellcaster@gmail.. or call his mobile number +2348164737027.

0 likes

YUM!! I added some garlic powder and a little extra lemon juice. But, this was delicious. I will be adding this as a new staple item in our house. People who ate it didn't even know it was without feta! ha.

0 likes

First let me say: yummy! thanks for the idea; will make again.  :)

I did, tho, modify heavily-- 2 tubs of regular firm tofu, 2 pkgs spinach, shredded carrot vs green onion ('cause that's what I had), Earth Balance vs olive oil, a couple garlic cloves added for the last couple minutes of saute action... More of everything, spice wise-- more lemon, more salt/ pepper, more dill; also added oregano, parsley, nooch, a sprinkle of nutmeg, red pepper, and some Earth Balance to the spinach mixture... I only used 1/2 package of Phyllo dough, 'cause I got tired of fooling with it-- about 2/3 of a half-pack of Phyllo underneath, & 1/3 on top. And I used more than 1/2 cup EB for brushing the layers...

It was a whole lotta prep, but a very enjoyable result! Next time, I'm gonna try 'appetizer' bites or rolls, with this same filling & Phyllo cups/ pockets/ rolls; I think it would be a great party snack--  it was a little hard to slice, on the bottom, as a casserole-- but very tasty! Thank you for sharing: t's a great idea to play around with! Yummy!

0 likes

:)>>> This filling recipe was delightful. I used the filling recipe with the dough recipe from "The New Laurel's Kitchen" and it was/is incredible.

The spanikopita recipe from  "The New Laurel's Kitchen" has been one of my favourites for many many years, but it no longer works for me as it contains dairy and my life no longer does.

The only thing I changed in your recipe is I added some soaked, crushed almonds and I added some garlic to my onions. This filling will be a good friend for years to come - thanks for sharing it.

0 likes

This came out great.  I added a few more things to it.  I added 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley, 1 cup of Daiya cheese, a few Tbsp of nutritional yeast, garlic and the juice of half a very large lemon.  I tasted the mixture little by little and added lemon juice until it suited my palette.  It was a hit.  My friend compared it to the dairy version of Follow Your Hearts Spanakopita.  I was totally honored.  Thank you for posting this.  I'll definitely be making it again. 

P.S.
If anyone is interested I calculated this and it came out to 4 WW plus points.  (12 servings) 

0 likes

I come from a greek family, so I know spanakopita inside and out. I cannot say that this is an exact vegan replica, that would just be a lie. However this is a great meal on its own :)

I agree with some others that it was a tad bland, so I added more lemon juice. Feta cheese is very tangy, so I tried to replicate that flavour.I probably used about 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Some people may find that a bit too much, but it suited my palette. If it doesn't have the tangy-ness it's just going to be like a tofu ricotta mix. Which is fine if you like that! I also included garlic in this, and sauteed it alongside the onion and included 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast into the tofu-feta mix.

I made this as a pie, but I definitely am going to make the traditional triangles with this mix. It's a nice meal and will become a permanent rotation in my kitchen :)

0 likes

I made this tonight and it wasn't that bad but I think I will add more lemon, dill, and some garlic for some kick the next time I make this. Thanks for sharing!

0 likes

This turned out to be a dish I enjoyed way more than I expected to.  It reminded me of a white - spinach pizza I've had before.  The filling did seem a bit bland so we added garlic and extra lemon juice and next time I would be more generous with other seasonings, maybe even add some nutritional yeast as well.  The amount of phyllo for the bottom layer was fine but for the top layer, I'd go with about half that as it was just too much dough. 

Does anyone know of a dipping or drizzling sauce that might be good with this? I thought it was fine without it but others wanted something to dip in?

0 likes

Unless maybe you have never had phyllo; which is totally awesome....I thought this dish was blah and just plain boring! I love tofu, but this was a flavorless mess! I heard nothing but complaints from my 6 yr old and now I feel disgusting after eating it. TOO much Earth Balance and not enough seasoning, let alone salt and pepper...
Perhaps its a good base for alterations, but I would never bother.

0 likes

This is very similar to the spanakopita I make as a Thanksgiving entree every year.  My recipe has a bit more filling (2 blocks extra firm tofu, well pressed, and a large bag of frozen spinach).  The seasonings I use are 1/2 T. salt, 2T oregano, 1t. nutmeg, 1t. basil, 1t. garlic powder.  I also use just olive oil, no margarine.  And I bake it 1 hour at 350.  This is a family favorite, even for the omnis. 

I'm going to try this dill-lemon juice version today, because I love dill!

0 likes

Pages