You are here

Member since November 2004

Salisbury Steak

What you need: 

1 onion, sliced
1 small can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
olive oil, as needed
1 (10 ounce) box vegan burger patties (I use Boca)
1 cup veggie broth
1 teaspoon kitchen bouquet
1 tablespoon cornstarch

What you do: 

1. Saute sliced onion and mushroom in some vegetable oil for a few minutes, until onion is translucent.
2. Add 4 burgers and cook for several minutes on each side, until it looks pretty done.
3. Meanwhile, make gravy: Add kitchen bouquet and cornstarch to veggie broth. Whisk until smooth.
4. Pour sauce over burgers. Turn heat to medium. Gravy will thicken within a few minutes. Dish is done when gravy is thick.
Source of recipe: I've been making this recipe for about 15 years and love to serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans. It's my son's favorite meal!

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is very good.  I make this 3-4 times per month because my kids love it so much.  I used Boca vegan burgers for many months, but I just started using the Gardein beefless burgers and it is much tastier with these burgers.  I also use the gravy mixture as my basic go to gravy for mashed potatoes as well.  Thanks for the great idea.

0 likes

This is one of those,"why is this even a recipe?" recipe...although it did save me in a crunch for time, thanks for the idea!

0 likes

Loved this recipe!!!!! I definitely craving something like this. Instead of vegetable broth I used Imagine's No-Chicken broth and instead of kitchen bouquet I used Braggs Liquid Aminos, 1 tsp of sage (or less), 1/4 tsp onion powder 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, and a pinch of pepper to make more of an herb gravy. I also used Portabella mushrooms. I think I can die satisfied now. :)>>>

0 likes

This was pretty delicious and an awesome new way to prepare a boca burger.. although, something went wrong with my gravy. First I made it the way it said but with soy sauce instead of kitchen bouquet, and then added garlic and onion powder. For some reason it wasn't getting smooth, no matter how much I whisked it.. so I tossed out that gravy and tried again with flour instead of cornstarch. Same problem. I don't know what happened.. maybe it was the garlic or onion powder.. Either way, it still turned out delicious. Oh, and I omitted the onions and mushrooms because I'm not a fan.

0 likes

This was really good! I was on a tight budget so I didn't get the mushrooms or onions. Instead I got portabella mushroom Gardenburgers XD I also didn't use the Kitchen Bouqet because I couldn't find it. So what I did was I made up some veggie broth from a vegetarian bouillon cube, added the cornstarch and some spices. It was a great gravy. I just microwaved the burgers and had it with home made mashed potatoes and corn. Thanks for the recipe!! My fiancee and I loved it.

0 likes

I actually made this exact thing as a completely impromptu dinner last week...funny this is on here. Except I didn't use Kitchen Bouquet because it is unnecessary. I just used mushroom broth, onions, mushrooms, garlic, and whole wheat flour to thicken it up. Microwaved a boca burger for 60 seconds, then let it cook in the gravy for a bit. Eat that over some rice or mashed potatoes and life is gooood.
:>

0 likes

Would dry gravy mix work instead of the liquid flavouring?

It probably would, as long as there's enough gravy to cover the "steaks", and you might still need to use cornstarch or something to make it thicken up more, unless the gravy already gets nice and thick.  I've never used the packaged dry gravy, so I'm not sure.  But I would think it should work. 

0 likes

This was pretty good... i used fresh mushrooms instead of canned... next time i think im going to cook the onions and mushrooms and set them aside as i brown the boca burgers... im also going to cook the burgers longer so they are more crispy next time... this is definitely a keeper though thanks :)

0 likes

Can't believe I forgot to review this.  It was great!  Tastes exactly like the real thing.  I don't use mushrooms b/c I've never really liked them but it has been a while since I last tried to eat one...  But will definetly be a regular recipe for me.  ;)b

0 likes

Sounds delicious! I think I'll try it for dinner.

0 likes

Pages