2 packs "Chreese" cheddar flavor + 1 cup veggie stock and 1 cup soy milk
or
use the Melty Cheese recipe minus tomatoes from this site
Braggs
balsamic vinegar
cayenne, garlic, cumin, black pepper

What you do: 

Heat oven to 375.
In a skillet over medium heat, crumble tempeh, add onion, add a splash of water, Braggs and balsamic vinegar. I never measure, but you want enough that you can see the tempeh turn brown.
Add a teaspoon of garlic, cumin, and cayenne. Add some pepper. Cook until really browned.
Place in casserole with veggies and potatoes.
Cover with cheese sauce. I use 2 packs "Chreese" with 1 cup stock and 1 cup soy/oat milk and sometimes a make a topping of Panko crumbs.
Bake for 30-45 minutes until bubbly, browned and thick

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

So, so, so, so GOOD! I canNOT stop eating this! I increased the amounts of everything to make more, and I'm glad I did. I have no idea what those particular hashbrowns might be, or how much potato is involved, but I very thinly sliced up about 5 very small potatoes and that seemed to work. I put in a whole onion - the biggest one I had. I used all of the cheese sauce (Holy COW that's a fine cheese sauce!)
I have a new favorite dish~  :D

0 likes

made this bad boy as written except I used different quantities than specified
-only one tempeh block
-2 chopped broccoli crowns and 2 avg carrots sliced in coins
-the whole melty cheese recipe- (used sunflower seeds in place of almonds)
-one small white onion instead of 1/2 red, diced
- 1/4 cup panko mixed in and another added to the top for the last 10 minutes of baking
-I added lots o salt and used shoyu not braggs.
it was good and finished off by 2 of of us in one shot. I would have gone for seconds but none to be had.
I would like to try a variation of this recipe in a different format than the casserole, i thought the ingredients mixed well together.
still, nice cass!

0 likes

mmmm i love the french onion idea for on top.....

0 likes

I originally made this recipe because I looked at the ingredients and thought, What in the world would that taste like?? I had no idea, so I had to try it. Normally I only go for tried-and-true recipes, but I took a shot on this one. And I'm glad I did! The combination works really well, and it was quite tasty. I used a 16 oz bag of frozen veggies (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.) and 16 oz hashbrowns, so I also upped the spices by about half (I love spicy food, so this was fine with me, but if you don't, I'd recommend lowering the amount of cayenne). I was being lazy so I didn't use the onion, but added onion powder to the mix, and I used 5 cloves of minced garlic. For the cheese, I used the Nutritional Yeast Dip/Sauce (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7057) recipe but doubled it, using 1 cup soymilk and 1 cup veggie broth instead of water, as suggested. Next time I might even go for 2.5x the recipe, but 2x was good. Then I coated the whole thing with Panko crumbs, about 1/4" thick. I definitely recommend using some sort of crunchy topping. When served, we topped it with Parma!, a new vegan parmesan substitute (much better than any currently on the market). So long story short, this was very tasty, and made a lot (mine filled a 13x9-inch pan)! Thanks!!!

0 likes

We only made half the recipe - and we still have lots of leftovers!

We did change a few things, to use what we had on hand.  And since we don't have frozen hashbrowns we grated a purple potato and a sweet potato.  I thought the sweet would give it an extra kick - and it's quite good!  (Although we're going to try it with new potatoes next time.)

The veggies we had on hand and used: brussel sprouts, zucchini, squash, carrot.

I brought the leftovers to work and added french fried onions on top, cooked it in the toaster oven again... WOW~  I should've done that in the beginning!  So good!

Great recipe!

0 likes