You are here

Member since August 2004

Potato Skin Nibbles

What you need: 

skins of 6 medium size potatoes
3 tablespoons of oil (any kind)
salt, pepper, parsley, sage (or any combination of spices and herbs)
finely chopped onion and garlic

What you do: 

Not quite hash browns and not quite chips! This is a common-sense recipe I developed because I absolutely hate throwing away potato skins when the recipe I am making doesn't call for them. SO many nutrients lost! So I make this entirely unhealthy snack food instead. To make it more healthy, you can choose to use less oil and use a "good" oil like olive oil. Also, these could likely be baked instead of fried as a healthier alternative.
First, take the potato skins and cut them into 1-2" pieces. I always end up with little pieces of skin when I am peeling potatoes anyway, so I usually can skip this step.
Heat up some oil in a skillet and add a handful of finely chopped garlic and onions. Fry the potato skin pieces in the oil mixture, adding salt, pepper, herbs, and spices to taste. When the potato skins are ready, they will be soft enough to bite into, but not so soft that they are mushy and wet.
Layer a plate with paper towels. Lay the potato pieces in between layers of towels and pat most of the grease and oil off. Let cool and enjoy!
These are great snacks because you can eat them with your fingers like chips when you are in a hurry, but they pack more nutrients and a softer texture than conventional potato chips.
Like I said, a "common-sense" recipe, but I thought I'd share nonetheless! Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Mmm, this was really good. But I have always baked them so they end out crunchy and less oily. ;)

0 likes