You are here

Member since June 2006

Chocolate Chip Cookies-Like They Should Be

What you need: 

3/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegan margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4-1/3 cup applesauce (enough to equal 1 egg)
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 (12 ounce) bag vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips

What you do: 

1. Heat oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Beat sugars, margarine, vanilla, and applesauce together in a large bowl.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. (Dough will be somewhat stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until light brown. Cool.
This is a recipe that my mom has been making my entire life, and I was so so so excited that they turned out so well after substituting a few things.
Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This is one of the best base Vegetarian Cookie Recipes ever.  I modify it a touch, but these cookies have never failed to come out tasty and delicious, and impossible to tell the difference from traditional homemade Chocolate-Chip Cookies

I do find that the cookies lose some structural integrity however, if you make them too big.

0 likes

These turned out great! The only change I made was to use flax as egg replacer instead of applesauce since I didn't have any. Thanks for sharing!

0 likes

I made them exactly like the recipe, and they are now my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!  My daughter says they taste like toffee or a gooey butter bar! 

0 likes

If you add a tbsp each of ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon and add a tiny bit more vanilla, these cookies will disappear into your tummy before you realize what happened. I did this last time and used dark chocolate chips. Almost ginger cookies with dark chocolate and oh so delicious.

0 likes

These are the best cookies ever.  My family has been vegan for 10 months now and we have finally found a WONDERFUL chocolate chip cookie.  Even other family members were liking them even though they knew they were "vegan."  Thank you so much for this great recipe and my children especially THANK  YOU.

0 likes

Delicious!!  I wanted to bake some cookies in our travel trailer when we were camping and didn't want to buy Pillsbury non-vegan chemical filled dough.  I made this up ahead of time and then put it in a plastic container and kept it cold until we needed it.  It worked great!!  Thanks for the recipe.  :)

0 likes

Just made.  Excellent.  I agree with last post that maybe next time I wont add the whole bag of 12oz chips.  Just a bit to many. But other than that, these were yummy!

0 likes

YAY! I finally made vegan cookies my parents (omnivores, through and through) enjoyed! THANK YOU! :D

0 likes

These Cookies are outstanding!!! my favourite vegan chocolate chip cookies yet!! i didn't have any apple sauce so i used an egg repalcer and i also added a heaping spoonful of peanut butter.
Delicious!!!

0 likes

Made this last night for a party and everyone loved them! I added one big tablespoon of peanut butter to the recipe and they turned out awesome!

0 likes

Pages