You are here

Member since November 2005

Dutch Apple Pie

What you need: 

9” deep-dish frozen pie crust (Mrs. Smith’s, check ingredients)
6 small apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup 807]cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vegan margarine, softened (Earth Balance)

What you do: 

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
For the filling: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, orange juice, corn starch, and cinnamon. Add to apples and mix well. Pour into pie crust.
For the crumb topping: In another bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and margarine with a fork, pastry cutter, or fingers until crumbs are about the size of peas. Add more flour or margarine to get desired consistency. Sprinkle over apples.
Place pie on a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until top is nicely browned. If crust is browning too quickly, cover edges of pan with aluminum foil.

Preparation Time: 
25 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Amazing. First time making pie. Turned out perfect. I did add oats into the crumble on top.

0 likes

This pie is EXCELLENT. I like to use the flaky crust from Joy of Vegan Baking. I also add some oats to the crumble topping. Everyone loves this when I make it and it was a hit at Thanksgiving! Yum!

0 likes

so great! i always use this recipe now. everyone i've made it for absolutely loves it! whenever bands tour through we have them stay at our house over night before moving on and i always make this pie. bands love me for it.

0 likes

Wow!  This recipe is awesome!  I made it for my Sweetie (who LOVES apple pie) for Valentine's Day and he said it was the best apple pie he'd ever tasted!  I did make a couple of changes - we didn't have any orange juice so I mixed about a tablespoon of cinnamon applesauce with enough water to make 1/3 cup.  Then, I substituted brown sugar for the white sugar -adding just a little extra.  Absolutely wonderful!  This one's a keeper!!!

0 likes

BEST PIE EVER!
Seriously, everyone who's tried the one I made loved it. Especially the crumb part on top. AMAZING.

0 likes