You are here

Member since May 2006

The Best Quasi Indian Style Curry Ever

What you need: 

3 tablespoons coconut oil (olive or sunflower can be substituted, but you will loose some
flavor)
2 teaspoons cumin seed
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
3 tablespoons turmeric (powder or fresh ground if available)
1-2 tablespoons red chili powder (to your taste)
4-5 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger root
3-4 tablespoons curry powder (get the best you can find)
5 bay leaves
5 curry leaves
1/4 cup finely grated coconut
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk, and dash of rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh ground coriander seed
veggies:
1 small to medium sweet potato, yam, or white potato
1 & 1/2 cups collard or other greens sliced thin (not spinach) 4-5 stalks asparagus
1/3 cup each carrots, celery, zucchini, white mushrooms
feel free to also add your favorites like cauliflower, eggplant, baby corn, bamboo
shoots, burdock, green peas

What you do: 

In an iron skillet heat cumin, mustard, fennel seeds in coconut oil for 1-2 minutes, until seeds begin to pop. (Do not burn! Start over if you do, this is key to the flavor and nutritional value.)
Add turmeric, chili powder, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 1 more min. Add veggies and 1-2 cups water, enough so all the veggies are covered. (While of course whatever veggies you use depend on your personal preference, I find the combination of sweet potato, collards, and asparagus to be delicious. Those three usually form the base, then I add whatever else I have around.) (Tip- cube the potato rather small so it cooks more quickly).
Add curry powder, curry leaves, and bay leaves. Add coconut. After 5-10 minutes, the water will reduce, at this point add soy milk or more water to keep curry saucy and veggies cooking in liquid. (If you like tomatoes, add 1 tablespoon tomato paste at this point.) Also add a dash of vinegar, salt and black pepper to taste.
Sometimes I also add a handful of soy lecithin granules or chick pea flour, for added protein and also to help thicken the sauce.
Cook 10-15 more minutes, until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, add coriander. Serve over basmati rice. Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Be the first to add a comment.