Member since July 2005

Wonton Wrappers

What you need: 

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water
cornstarch, as needed

What you do: 

1. Sift together flour and salt in a bowl. Slowly stir in warm water, dough will be very stiff.
2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, about 15 minutes. Cover with towel and let stand for 20 minutes. The next part takes some elbow grease, be warned.
3. Roll about 1/2 the dough out, as thin as you can. I'm not that strong so mine stay a little on the thick side. It should make 32 (3") squares, but I'm lucky to get 16. Repeat for other 1/2 dough.
4. To store (if there are any leftovers, anyway) just sprinkle with cornstarch and keep in an airtight bag in the fridge or freezer.
To make "eggless" or spring rolls just cut bigger squares, 6-8" or so.

Preparation Time: 
1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

peppers, onions, and garlic. Mmmm... I still have half the dough and stuffing in the fridge. I wonder if the dough will roll or not. I'll have to finish them later today. 
Also, I just folded mine in half to make triangles, but if anyone wants, here is a link on how to fold wontons- 

0 likes

Awesome. Mixed & kneaded the dough in a stand mixer, and then put the dough through a manual pasta maker. Used a potsticker press to cut & press the dough. My filling was cabbage, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and garlic all minced and sauteed in vegetable oil, sesame oil, a few splashes of rice vinegar & braggs, and also a few shakes of granulated onion (since I ran out of onions in my pantry). To cook the potstickers, I put them in a pan wih some water and a little bit of oil over medium heat; once they were "steamed" I let them brown a little. Served with some more braggs and voila! My craving has been satisfied, with plenty of leftovers for future potsticker nights. I was able to make over 3 dozen, and I have the feeling they'll freeze very well. The dough was perfect (I may have added a few extra tablespoons of water) so thank you for this recipe! Definitely a keeper! :)

0 likes

I didn't think these were that difficult to make (or maybe I just didnt roll mine that thing :))
I stuffed mine with vegan cream cheese, green onions, red peppers, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper. (I put it all in a food processor first to blend together).  Then I pan-fried them in a little safflower oil.  They were great!  My husband loved them and one of our Omni friends even loved them!  He said they tasted like crab-rangoon.

0 likes

This was much easier than made out to be, and worked very well. I made lots of different little shapes(my daughter helped) and then pan fried. Filling was shredded cabbage, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, little cubes of tofu, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, a little vinegar and a few shakes of red pepper. Very yummy!

0 likes

These are awesome! To avoid the troublesome rolling out- I used my pasta roller on my kitchenaid down to level 4 and these came out perfect! Filled with some cabbage mix, sauteed onions, and garlic/ginger/soy sauce. Yummy Yum!

0 likes

Can you steam these?  My bro LOVES steamed dumplings, and I would enjoy making them for him.

0 likes

These were tasty!  :) They were VERY hard to roll out, though. I stuffed mine with spinach, red peppers, onions, and garlic. Mmmm... I still have half the dough and stuffing in the fridge. I wonder if the dough will roll or not. I'll have to finish them later today.
Also, I just folded mine in half to make triangles, but if anyone wants, here is a link on how to fold wontons-
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumandpartyrecipes/ss/foldwonton.htm

0 likes
0 likes

it takes up a lot of energy preparing these, indeed, but it's totally worth it.
I used all purpose flour, thought it'd be more adapted to the recipe, and filled them with a mixture of frozen veggies and collard greens, garlic and onion, cooked in peanut oil and then chopped in a food processor. served with hoisin sauce, it was a complete success.

0 likes

We always get our vegan wontons at the Asian markets around town.  You can find pressed tofu, vegan wontons and lots of dried mushrooms and veggies... oh, and so many misc things made from tofu/soy. 

0 likes

Pages