3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple in its own juice
1 teaspoon vinegar
a bit of non-stick cooking spray

What you do: 

Preheat oven 400 degrees.
1.Stir together first 5 (dry) ingredients in a large bowl.
2.In a different bowl, stir together the remaining (wet) ingredients and then add it to the first bowl of already combined dry ingredients.
3.Mix together gently just until everything is moist.
4.Spoon into lightly oiled muffin tins until they're full.
Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Preparation Time: 
30-45 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made these for lunch to go w/ my chili. These are especially good if you split them in half, put them in a toaster oven just enough to get them warm or until they begin to toast and then spread w/ margarine and drizzle w/ agave syrup.

Next time, though,  I will change the flour/cornmeal ratio.  More flour - less cornmeal.

0 likes

I just made these again with fresh pineapple, and I think they're even better.  I like how soft the pineapple makes them.  I replaced about half the oil with applesauce and reduced the sugar by about half, and they came out great.

0 likes

These are good.  I only used 1/2 cup sugar & replaced all the oil with unsweetened applesauce.  I was also out of the vanilla soymilk so i used water and added some vanilla extract.  They are really dense and moist & i got 18 regular sized muffins.  I also used the pineapple tidbits so maybe that bulks up the volume a bit.  I would definitely make these again, I hope everyone at the potluck likes them!

0 likes

These are so good! I mixed brown rice and rye flour to replace wheat flour, used 1/2 cup sugar, and replaced the soymilk with pineapple juice. The texture was great, cornbread cakey and crunchy. I didn't have any blueberries on hand (lo siento!), but I ended up adding raspberries to have the batch and they were still fantastic ^^ Thanks for the recipe  :)

0 likes

Hi,

I just joined after following a link to this recipe.  I bought a can of pineapple over the weekend, even though I never buy pineapple.  These mufins were just what I needed!  My pineapple was rings, so I had to chop them up myself, with one of those little hand chopper things.  I cut back on the sugar and used half oil/half applesauce. 

I used a silicone muffin pan and negelcted to spray the wells.  I've only pried one out so far, for a taste test, and made a mess.  The muffin was delicious and I'm hoping that once they cool off a but more the rest will come out intact.

I'll definitely make these again and will remember to oil my pan next time.

0 likes

When I make these, I always use pineapple tidbits--not the crushed kind.  That way you run into some chunks and can taste the pineapple. 

0 likes

I was pretty excited about trying this recipe.  I reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup, added 1 tsp of vanilla, used skim milk (not a vegan) and substituted the oil with applesauce; beyond those modifications I followed the recipe including temp and they rose and baked with no problems.  Texture and moisture were great and they browned very well. 

I was , however, dissappointed in the taste.  I was not really tasting a strong pineapple flavor; it was present, but not prominent.  I was hoping for more of a "pineapple upside down cake in muffin form" flavor, but got corn muffins with a shadow of pineapple flavor.  So, I was not entirerly thrilled with the outcome and am rethinking keeping the recipe.

0 likes

I must be the only one who has ever failed to bake the perfect batch of pinapple cornbread muffins! Mine came out like overbaked dough moistened with pineapple chunks. Are "crushed pineapples" suppose to be very chunky?

0 likes

This recipe is delicious! My only complaint is that it is not 100% idiot-proof. Specifically, I feel that there should be extra comments next to every ingredient on the list, saying things like "Yes, you NEED this, don't leave it out" and "What are you, an idiot? Of course you'd put this in!". That way I could have saved myself a lot of pain and anguish with this.

Because... you see... I, my friends, *am* an idiot. I left out the pineapple and its juice, thinking instead that I would replace it with... well, let's be honest - I wasn't thinking. My neurons were mis-firing, or perhaps they never fire, and I just mistake the hollow rattling in my skull to be knowledge being moved about. That would be consistent with the whole "lacking a brain" phase I seem to be going through.

Long story short - don't be like me. Don't make this without the fruit and juice. They'll be dry but cornbready, and you'll wanna eat them and kill yourself at the same time.

0 likes

I followed the recipe exactly, except I reduced the cooking temperatuure on my oven to 375 (recipe called to preheat to 400). These came out perfect! I used white whole wheat flour.

0 likes

Pages