1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 medium tart green apple, chopped
1-2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup pearl barley
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth/stock

What you do: 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat oil in large skillet; saute onion, bell peppers and garlic 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chopped apple and curry powder; sauté 4 minutes longer.
2. Stir in barley and vegetable broth/stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Pour barley mixture into large baking dish or casserole. (can be prepared in advance up until this point)
3. Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes. For a crispier top, bake uncovered for the last 10 minutes.

Preparation Time: 
1 hr 30 mins
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I liked this dish as well.  I did add some salt and pepper, just a personal thing. It was still a great dish,  like the idea of using strips of chicken style gluten to make it truly a meal.  In will be making this again at some point.  

0 likes

It's all about the apple - nice touch!

0 likes

This was good and a nice change of pace from brown rice.  I did the first part of the recipe in a cast iron skillet and instead of pouring it into another dish for baking, I just put the lid on the skillet and baked it in that.  I think next time I make it I'm going to add some strips of chicken style gluten to make it more of a main dish than a side.  I liked it.  ;)b

0 likes