1 handful of fresh chopped mint leaves
1 handful fresh chopped parsley
few thinly sliced red onion rounds
baked or fried pita bread
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 minced garlic clove
2 tablespoons sumac (this makes salad authentic)
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar

What you do: 

To make dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt, garlic clove, sumac, and vinegar in a cup or jar with lid and stir or shake. Set aside.
To bake or fry pita bread, cut into approximately 1 inch pieces, then fry in low-medium heat till golden in color. Drain on paper towel.
Or bake (healthier) for a couple of minutes in oven. I throw it in the oven, turn it to 350 degrees, and just check every couple of minutes until crispy. By the time the temp gets to 350, it is usually baked.
In large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, mint, parsley, onion and pita bread. Toss with dressing, and serve.
I can eat the whole bowl in one sitting, but if you serve with a meal I guess it would serve about 4 people.
I've tried making this without sumac, and it doesn't taste as good. Sumac also adds a beautiful red speckled look to your salad. Be sure and use the edible sumac.

Preparation Time: 
20 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I gave this recipe to my boyfriend's mom for her to make for his birthday. She didn't have time ( and I didn't expect her to) to get the sumac but even without it this is fantastic. We had a whole Middle Eastern spread for him because it's delicious stuff, it is hot as heck here on Long Island and it is easy to make everything vegan and no one hesitates at any of the ingredients. I made hummus, babaganoush, roasted vegetables with fresh herbs from my garden, tzatziki, pita chips, falafel sandwiches with cucumber, tomato and lettuce and tabouleh. For dessert I made a cannoli cake - not Middle Eastern, I know, but darn good. It was a great Birthday dinner for him. Thanks for this recipe and we'll definitely get the sumac next time.

0 likes

Can't believe this doesn't have a review yet! This is one seriously awesome salad, and the dressing is perfect (like it says, DON'T skip the sumac). It tastes just like the Fatoush salad from Aladdin's that my wife and I love.

I'm not sure how, but we managed to eat the entire bowl of it at once for dinner; so good, but so full! Can't wait to make more!

0 likes