2-3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
6-10 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil, as needed
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 (14 ounce) cans navy beans, drained
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Combine the sage, garlic and oil in a saucepan and sauté on medium-low heat for several minutes, until the garlic is golden.
2. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, and navy beans.
3. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, until everything is hot. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot or chilled.
Do not try dried sage with this recipe. It won't work. Only fresh sage will work. Great served with hot buttery sweet potatoes!

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This was SO easy and SO delicious! I combined it with lemon-pepper tofu and chard with figs and it was FABULOUS! :)>>>

0 likes

I love this recipe and use it all the time. I've also made a pretty good soup with the same idea - just added vegetable broth... and I believe some potato

0 likes

I was not very impressed with this recipe.  Needed more flavor, too thick (although thinning it out with broth would fix this). 

0 likes
Anonymous

What a nice, quick, and easy dinner. I used 2 cans of cannellini beans and 5 cloves of garlic. My only complaint (if you can call it that) is that I can't see how this can feed 6-8 people, unless it is a small side dish. I served it as a main dish along side homemade bread and salad, and it was only enough for 4 rather small bowls - I'd say it was about a 1 cup serving per person. The taste was terrific, and I didn't think the sage was overwhelming at all. In fact, I diced up some of the extra sage and mixed it with a little bit of softened Smart Balance Light and used that to spread on my freshly baked bread. Yummmmy! ;)

0 likes

Whoa nelly, I made this with 2 Tablespoons of sage & it was waaaaaaaay to much  :o, next time I'll cut it down to 1 Tb. maybe even 1/2 Tb.

0 likes

I made this the other night and it ROCKS!! ;D  I used cannellini beans and left out the tomatos though, and added TONS on fresh ground black pepper, and a little Earth Balance along with the olive oil.  I have 3 gigantic sage bushes in my herb garden, so this recipe is perfect for that.  I also made a black pepper and sage polenta to go along with the beans...poured myself a glass of chianti and life was good!! ;)  If anyone hasn't tried this recipe yet I encourage them to...its good on a nice cool fall night!   

0 likes

A quick and easy recipe for a muggy summer night. I used canned, rinsed cannellini beans (drained) and canned (undrained) Italian cherry tomatoes, slivered 5 big fresh sage leaves, and all kinds of garlic. Served with green salad and Italian bread--YUM! (Sadly, there are no leftovers... >:(...I wanted to try it cold!

0 likes