1/2 cup textured vegetable protein
1/2 cup wheat gluten
vegetarian "chicken" bullion
salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, paprika
any other seasoning you might like
flour and cornflakes or breadcrumbs for dredging
6 cups water

What you do: 

This recipe can be made into unchicken nuggets or a few larger patties for unchicken cutlets.
Start by placing the bullion cube and the water in a large pot and bringing to a boil. Meanwhile in a medium bowl mix textured soy protein and wheat gluten. I use Bob's Red Mill for both. Then add about a teaspoon of each of the following (add more if you like) salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
Now using a large spoon or a ladle, spoon some of the broth from the pot onto the dry mixture (maybe a 1/4 cup) and stir the mixture. Add more broth as needed until the mixture comes together and there are no dry spots. It's not an exact science.
Now pull the ball of dough apart into three or four pieces and place each piece into the boiling broth. If your intending on making cutlets make them a bit smaller because the dough will expand by about 1 1/2. Let them boil for about 1/2 hour until almost all of the liquid is gone in the pot. Then remove them from the pot and slice into small chunks for nuggets or leave them large for cutlets.
In another bowl season flour with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika or any other seasonings you might like. Dredge the nuggets in flour and either breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes. Fry in a small amount of oil until lightly browned on both sides.
The nuggets are best coated in cornflakes and then served with ketchup or BBQ sauce. The patties are good in the breadcrumbs as a parmesan with vegan cheese and tomato sauce or with a vegan alfredo. But enjoy them anyway you see fit.
These make very happy chickens!

Preparation Time: 
about 1 hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
2-4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Is there a way to make this gluten free, say NOT using wheat gluten??

0 likes

I AM TRYING THIS RIGHT NOWWWWW...wish me luck!

0 likes

WHOA!!!!  THIS TOOK THE CRAVING OF CRUNCH AND FLAVOR BY STORM!!!! AWESOME RECIPE, I was a little nervous when the tvp started breaking apart during the boil, but it worked out just fine. I added a little more gluten to some other pieces before the boil and it held together nicely. I also whipped up a egg replacer, baking powder and non-dairy milk dip before dipping into the flour..for that  extra southern crunch. THANK YOU! ;)b :)>>> ;)b

0 likes

ALL of my family loves this recipe, even the non-veg heads!!! It's a favorite!!

0 likes

I made this last night.  It made for a happy omnivore too, my DH.  He loved it!  It is really  good.  I honestly think it's better than the commercial faux chicken patties I've been buying.  I had one "cutlet" kind of fall apart on me but that was my fault.  Even so those bits made an excellent "unchicken" salad that I'm eating for lunch right now!  8)

0 likes

Sounds good, im going to try this!

0 likes