2 bunches collard greens, destemmed and cut to 1" strips
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 veggie bouillon cubes

What you do: 

1. Transfer greens to a large bowl and submerge them in water to clean. I usually triple wash them just to make sure they are clean. The greens are clean when the water runs clear. Set greens aside.
2. In a large Dutch oven, sauté the onion and peppers in oil until they have begun to soften, then add the ginger and garlic.
3. Add 5 cups of water and bouillon cubes and greens. Bring to boil and simmer on low for about 2 1/2 hours or until greens reach desired tenderness.

Preparation Time: 
about 3 1/2 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4 to 5

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this again tonight! I'm so excited about this recipe, I've just made it the same way I did last time except this time I added lentils, and substituted spinach for the collard greens (store was out). It was great! I added the spinach toward to end so it wouldn't overcook it. I can't wait to test how versatile this recipe can be. I think I'll try this with kale and maybe lima beans or something fun! It has such great flavor and texture.

I sprinkled on some fresh green onion slices in the bowl this time and it was good. And instead of adding the actual ginger to the recipe, I just blended it in the blender with some water and strained the liquid into the soup. It made the ginger a lot easier to deal with.

This is a really great recipe! I'm going to be making it a lot :)

0 likes

I made a half batch (I only had one bunch of collards). I added a couple tablespoons of tahini, about 1/3 cup of coconut milk, a quick dash of braggs liquid aminos, and a bit of extra water to make mine soupier. I made mine on the stovetop rather than using a dutch oven, but I just cooked it for a shorter amount of time. Other than these small changes and using "better than bouillon" instead of normal bouillon, I followed the recipe exactly.

And it turned out Amazing! To me it tasted kind of creamy, in a good way.  I sprinkled some hemp hearts over it in the bowl for extra texture and nutrition from lots of amino acids (protein) and some omega fats (the good kind). It was still great with the hemp hearts, but I think I liked it by itself better. I'm might have to make this recipe a regular thing, thanks for sharing it :)

0 likes

wow. this was incredible! the ginger is so good in this and I also added some soy sauce to the broth.  I'm not sure if this is technically a soup, but I am tempted to say that it is my favorite soup.  amazing.

0 likes

Smokin great recipe! I used "better than bullion" the vegan one that is a paste that comes in a jar. Its a bit pricey but its wonderful to have on hand. I will make this again:)

0 likes

Why is this in appetizers?! I did them a little bit differently, but mine came out perfectly! These were the best greens we've had. I used mustard greens, 1/2 of a red pepper, 3 green onions, and 3 cloves garlic. I added about 2 cups veg broth, and cooked them for about an hour and half, then added some soy sauce and about 2 tbs tahini, along with lots of s and p. Great!

this was one of the first recipes that i posted...it's in appetizers by mistake..i thought that it would automatically go to the proper category, lol...im glad u enjoyed the recipe  :)

0 likes

Oh, and I kept mine kind of soupy, b/c I like having the "sauce!" The amount of liquid can of course be modified.  ;)

0 likes

Why is this in appetizers?! I did them a little bit differently, but mine came out perfectly! These were the best greens we've had. I used mustard greens, 1/2 of a red pepper, 3 green onions, and 3 cloves garlic. I added about 2 cups veg broth, and cooked them for about an hour and half, then added some soy sauce and about 2 tbs tahini, along with lots of s and p. Great!

0 likes

I made this with broccoli green and it was awsome!!  I don't have Dutch oven, so I just used big pot, but it still tasted great.

0 likes

i made this again using mustard greens and it was just as good. i added a good squirt of bragg's and it was so amazing.

this is going to be a staple for me!

0 likes

this recipe is excellent. i used vegetable broth instead of the boullion and it came out great! i added a couple dashes of hot sauce, though. mmmm

0 likes