You are here

Member since April 2003

Chocolate Covered Crackers

What you need: 

1 bag of saltine crackers
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet are often vegan, double check)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine (I use Earth Balance)

What you do: 

Line up the saltine crackers on a cookie sheet.
Combine remaining ingredients in a pan and heat on medium until melted and smooth.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the crackers.
Cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
This recipe may sound a little weird but it’s so good and super easy! Kinda tastes like caramel chocolate because of the brown sugar. My friend told me about this recipe and now I make it all the time!

Preparation Time: 
10 min
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
8-10
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

These are awesome and a family favorite, especially at Christmastime! :)

0 likes

this would be a great use for all the saltines my family has accumulated!

0 likes

Ahhh milk fat in my chocolate chips
Why I didnt read the label I dont know  :'(

0 likes

Haven't tried making these myself, but this (lacto-version) was a staple around Christmas time at my house when I was growing up.  I have no idea where my mom found this recipe, but I always remember people's surprise when they found out the toffee candy was actually made with saltine crackers.  I remember helping her make these and she did the version where the butter/brown sugar mix is poured over the crackers first and then topped with the chocolate chips.  We always called it Soda Cracker Candy.  Yum.

0 likes

ok they are in the fridge now!!!!  I am a bit concerned because my crackers seemed kinda weird(maybe stale??) anways i made one change, i added about 3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter(organic) to switch it up a bit and not nearly as much brown sugar(couldnt get much out of my box..hard as heck hahahahaha)........ill keep you guys and gals updated!!

erin~

Recipe is great, but my crackers were bad!! So I am trying again today with new crackers...i MUST have these......oh and i got new brown sugar so i think i will be successful in my chocolate covered goodness endeavor.... :)

0 likes

ok they are in the fridge now!!!!  I am a bit concerned because my crackers seemed kinda weird(maybe stale??) anways i made one change, i added about 3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter(organic) to switch it up a bit and not nearly as much brown sugar(couldnt get much out of my box..hard as heck hahahahaha)........ill keep you guys and gals updated!!

erin~

0 likes

Once again, very easy and tasty!  This is obviously not a super healthy recipe, but when you crave something sweet and sinful, yet simple, this recipe is great.  I like almonds on top of mine.

0 likes

I agree with the first post--adding walnuts on top is an awesome idea.  These are marvelous because they are so convenient and so tasty.  Who would have thought that saltine crackers could ever be... good?

0 likes

Murray Cinnamon Grahams are vegan. I haven't eaten them in a while though, because of the "partially hydrogenated." I swear I stop reading the label as soon as I see that. ::) Better than milkfat, though!

0 likes

Do you think vegan-style graham crackers would work, instead of saltines? That just sounds so... salty.  :P

The saltiness of the crackers are not noticeable in this dessert because the chocolate overtakes the taste.  I used unsalted saltine tops, which to me taste salty, but after I made this dessert I could not pick up the saltiness of the crackers.  I bet graham crackers would taste absolutely phenomenal due to the added cinnamon and sugar. I suppose saltines are "accidentally vegan" and available at more stores than vegan graham crackers (if you know of any stores that sell vegan graham crackers, let me know!) so that's why the cook decided to use saltine crackers.  Post your results!

0 likes

Pages