Member since April 2003

Amazingly Simple “Egg”

What you need: 

1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon water

What you do: 

This "egg" recipe should be added last to any of your baking.
Mix the dry ingredients first, then add the water. Make sure there are no clumps and then add it to whatever you're baking.
This is SOOOOOOOOO simple and easy. It works really well, not to mention it's really cheap!!!

Preparation Time: 
1 minute
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Anonymous

thanks! this worked out great. i used this in pad thai so for my purposes i added more water.

0 likes

AWESOME!!

It made wonderful 'puffed' cookies with a shortbread like texture. Actually on the dry side... but I like them that way. I think adding apple sauce might do the trick if you wanted them more chewy ...maybe like 1/4 c? 
I should clarify that I did not use all vegan ingredients. I did use the toll house chips.
Also important note: I added the "egg" at the point it was called for, not the end.
And I mixed with a spoon by hand! "kneading" the chips (with my toddler's help) in at the end. Remember when making cookies consistancy turns out very differently depending on how you mix!

0 likes

Chocolate Chip Cookie UPDATE:
They haven't even baked yet... but I had to come on and post... the raw batter tastes delicious!! My 2 year old had so much fun mixing in the chocolate chips with his hands and eating it off ...a BIG NO-NO with real egg (even for non-vegans!) So if your non vegan friends like to eat raw cookie dough just give them this egg replacer recipie!

Okay ... 5 minutes til yumminess! I'll be back!

0 likes

Yeah try it... works for me! I use silk soymilk "plain" (don't know if it's vegan ?) when i make pancakes. I think it works cuz bisquick already HAS all that baking powder etc in it. if you were starting from scratch with flour you'd need the "egg" replacer.

I'm trying this egg replacer tonight with the basic toll house chocolate chip recipe... i'll report back once they've had the toddler taste test.

0 likes

gasp! i was using all that baking powder for no reason? haha. thanks a lot, i'll definitely remember that <3

0 likes

To make bisquick pancakes just add soy milk to the bisquick no need for egg at all. (I use a tiny bit more soy milk than the recipe calls for regular milk.)

0 likes

P.S. - I forgot to mention (I'm making those Bisquick pancakes a second time today) that if you use this simple "egg" replacer with these premade mixes you will probably have to add extra liquid to the recipe whether in the form of soy milk or water, etc, to make up for the extra liquid a regular chicken's egg gives to the batter.

0 likes

I used this for some Bisquick pancakes, and even though the mix already included leavening, it worked wonderfully. And also if you do the box tip of adding sugar, lemon juice, and baking powder, it STILL works with this "egg." So non-scratch bakers, give this a try at least once!! It is worth it :)

0 likes

Philoserine: I have successfully used 1/4 c. applesauce + about 1 TBS baking powder as an egg substitute for a commercial brownie mix.  It make them a little more fudgy (less fluffy and cakelike), but they taste really good, and don't explode....  ;)

0 likes

I had a commercial brownie mix that was vegan (!) but required an egg, so I tried this due to a lack of... well... anything else (EG, flax, etc).  It most definitely did not work.  My guess would be that there was already leavening in the mix, so when I added more, it exploded on the edges and fell in the middle.

So:  that was my fault, but watch out if you're not baking from scratch!

0 likes

Pages